Dwarven Soul Mates

Dwarves believe that a piece of their soul is restored inside another person, and they call this person their One, the one person they would truly love. So it’s a soul mate -thing, and Dwarves can sense it when they have found their One. That much is similar to most of the “One theories”, as I like to call them.

In my stories finding your One does not mean falling in love with a complete stranger the moment when you lay your eyes on them for the first time. People can’t sense their One’s emotions, or hear each other’s thoughts, nor can they sense their current location at any given time, only whether their One is near or not. And with near I mean near. For example, you cannot feel your One’s presence if they’re in another room.

What does it mean, then? The pull that has already been mentioned is not love, its desire to get to know the other. That pull is kind of message from fate, saying “hey this person is the one who is the most suitable for you, who can make you truly happy. I’d recommend to get acquainted with them.” The pair would first become friends and then eventually that friendship would turn into love.

How long does it take? The truth is that nobody knows. For some it might take only weeks, for some it might take even years. The amount of time spent together might have some effect on it, but it has never been confirmed. However long it takes, love will always come eventually, and once it has come it will never die.

Dwarves may grow fond of anyone, for example two individuals can become so close friends that they’ll consider each other as siblings, kind of brothers (and sisters) through a bond, but they will love only their One. That’s also the difference between Dwarves and other races. Men and Elves can also find someone who would be their soul mate, but they can’t sense it, not the way Dwarves do. Also, Men and Elves can fall in love with almost anyone, and Men can fall in love again after losing their first love, something that Dwarves are unable to do.

Dwarves can marry someone who is not their One, but these occasions are extremely rare. Usually, if a dwarf does not find their One, they won’t marry at all.