9. Light in Darkness

LIGHT IN DARKNESS

The following eight hours had been the longest and toughest I had endured yet. And that said a lot, especially after having fought death several times.

We left nothing on our agenda non-discussed and no problem or conflict unsolved. We even judged several cases that didn't even end, the rest to be continued after the Gathering. There was so much to do those eight hours were nothing but a joke. Everything piled up from seventeen years and unsolved by Ramos due to some laws even he couldn't interfere with was laid and discussed and agreed on. I even took some cases myself, judged and pronounced guilt or innocence several times, proposed solutions and evaluated projects.

I left nothing to be held against me, fulfilling everything just perfectly and to the last detail that some of the nobles, be it high or low-born, were stricken by awe.

Father did make the time, between all that was crowded, to give Lord Perdiel and his fellows a piece of his mind regarding the changes they had done to the law concerning Leon's family.
The Prelius circle didn't show any physical sign of pleasure or smugness, even when those things weren't missing in Leon's soul. Neither in Renva and Rhiannon's; but there was of surprise to it, being utterly clueless to what we'd talked under Siltheres's protection. And I suffered when I had to address the Shadow or stare at him as he talked, trying to keep my composure. I knew with no single doubt he was enjoying every bit of it.

But what kept my concentration occupied the most was trying to see through the endless minds surrounding me on who could be the traitor. I came out with suggestions, not results as everyone had their minds well protected from the magic inside the room. One look at Sorcha told me she was doing the same.

And finally, the gathering was over. Everyone had vanished out of the room, leaving father and me completely alone in silence. Even Ramos was called out, by Leon I noted, who most likely did it for my sake. 
I watched my father lounge back in his seat, massaging the bridge of his nose as he sighed loudly.

"Not even seventeen years of sleeping prepared you with enough energy for this, I take it,'' I said, leaning my head on his chest as he draped an arm around me.

Sunset was nearing, the firmament already in washes of gold and amber, warm lights reflecting against his heavy crown and dark, golden hair.
"A millennia might never be enough,'' he replied, laughing a bit.

"I am not ready to have you out for another week and you have the audacity to wish for a thousand years, Your Highness?"

He laughed again and I savored the sound. Savored his warmth, the melody of his beating heart, how his eyes glowed as he stared at me, at the child he loved before she was even born. I took in all of him, terrified that I never knew when the last time would be.

"I am not ready to be taken again from you, either."

My breath hitched and I couldn't, even if I tried, hide the pain. He felt it, heard my heavy intake of air, saw the pain in my eyes. He redressed in his chair, pulling me with him.