12 - The Epilogue

Joey woke up on his fifth Christmas morning spent with Lauren, and immediately wrapped his arms tighter around his sleeping girlfriend. It was their fourth  Christmas spent in the apartment they'd moved into together not long after returning to LA. Joey's heart had melted when Lauren had suggested they get their own apartment, because it meant he knew for sure that she wanted this relationship as much as he did.

He couldn't believe it had been four years since he and Lauren had first begun fake dating, and then real dating. In that time they'd both grown together, in their careers and as people, had adopted a dog together, and, most importantly - to Joey, at least - they had fallen more and more in love with each other with each passing day. Joey felt extremely lucky to be able to spend nearly every second of every day with the person he loved most in the world.

He watched as Lauren's eyes slowly opened, immediately focusing on him as she smiled warmly at him. He leaned in to kiss her, his lips moving lazily against hers.

"Merry Christmas JoJo."

He pressed a kiss to her temple.

"We could get up and open our presents," he suggested.

"Or...?" she said, grinning.

"We could stay in bed a bit longer."

"I like that idea," she said, snuggling into him, and Joey couldn't agree more.

They spent most of the morning in bed, but Lauren eventually got up and got dressed so she could cook a turkey for Christmas dinner. Joey hung around in the kitchen, doing whatever she asked him to do as well as distracting her occasionally by cracking jokes, breaking into song, or by catching her for a kiss.

After they'd eaten so much food they could barely move, they cuddled up on the couch together, Joey's laptop balanced between them both as they made some more progress on their wedding planning while eating some of the cookies she'd baked earlier that week.

"I think we should have a white and baby blue colour scheme," Lauren said.

Joey nodded. "We could have white and baby blue fairy lights to decorate?" he said, looking to her for approval.

She smiled at him. "I like that."

"So we've got my suit, the groomsmen's suits, the flowers, the venue, the catering" Joey said, checking off on his fingers.

"Are we any closer to finalising the guest list?" Lauren asked.

Joey pulled up the spreadsheet with the list of names. "I think so... oh! We have to invite Sophie," he said, suddenly remembering.

"Sophie?"

"She was in one of my classes in college."

Lauren was still frowning at him in confusion. "I don't mind if you invite her, JoJo, but can I ask why?"

Joey smiled, thinking back to the incident in the coffee shop four years ago, when Sophie's last words to him before he went and made up with Lauren were a request for a wedding invitation.

"It's a long story," he said, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

She shook her head at him bemusedly, but was quickly distracted by more wedding preparations.

"Are we inviting Diane?" Lauren asked in a sudden panic.

The dog in question's head shot up from where she was nestled in a blanket at the other end of the couch. Joey laughed, squeezing her into his side.

"We don't need to invite Diane, Lo. If you want her there then she'll be there."

Lauren relaxed back into him, picking up another cookie and chewing on it happily.

"I can't wait to see you in your dress," Joey said, leaning his head on top of hers.

"Maybe I won't wear a dress," she said cheekily. "A white romper would be a lot cheaper."

He gazed down at her. "You'll look beautiful whatever you wear. You always do."

She smiled, stretching up to kiss him, the gesture as second nature to her as breathing. Four  years ago neither of them would have guessed this was where they would end up. But neither of them could be more excited to spend forever with each other.

A/N Sophie may never see this but I hope she appreciates my reference and our running joke. Anyway, thanks again to everyone for reading this and for your comments. I love being able to share these guys' love with you ❤️