Chapter 1

"Run! Run Jake! Quick, throw it to third base!" The brunette shouted as she motioned to base where the small child has his glove up, ready to catch the ball.

She watched her nephew hurl the ball with all his might as it came right to the third baseman and ended in the runner getting out. Stevie clapped her hand together while her encouraging voice told the kids, "Good play! Nice throw Jake and Danny, nice hustle!"

Stevie adjusted her baseball hat on top of her wavy brown hair as she walked back over to the sidelines while the next batter came up to the plate. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a tall figure walking towards her but she didn't take her eyes off of the kids game in front of her.

"Jake has had some nice throws today," Kevin spoke up to his little sister.

"Maybe his aunt working with him in between practices has been helping," Stevie teased.

"Or maybe having such an athletic father, like myself, helps," He joked right back as they heard a crack, alerting them to the fact the ball had been hit and was in play.

"NICE HIT ETHAN!" She cupped her hands around her mouth to shout to the player who was jumping up and down on first base, excited for his hit. Stevie then brought her attention back to her brother and rolled her eyes at him, "Yeah or something like that."

It was quiet between the two as they watched the little league practice unfold until Kevin looked down at his watch and asked, "What time are you leaving?"

"Chris' flight gets in at 4:00, so I'll leave at like 3:00 so that I'm there in time," Stevie explained, instantly getting a bright smile on her face at the thought of seeing her best friend.

They heard the kids all yell as another player hit a line drive, causing all the runners to advance as the shortstop tried to quickly throw the ball to the first baseman. Stevie shouted encouragements and what plays to make from the sidelines while Kevin found himself watching his sister rather than the game. A questioned gnawed at him and he had to know the answer, so once the next batter was coming up to the plate, Kevin decided to interject.

"Are you going to tell him today?"

This was the first time during their entire conversation that Stevie turned so that her brown eyes could look into his. She smiled a wide closed mouth grin as she nodded, "I'm so excited to finally get to tell him. It's been killing me to keep it a secret but I just didn't want to tell him over the phone, it's too big of news for that."

"Chris is going to be shocked," Kevin nodded, scratching at his stubbled chin, knowing there was so much more behind those words that Stevie had no idea of.

"He'll be so excited though! I mean it's not every day that your best friend gets engaged!" Stevie beamed from ear to ear, looking down at the shiny ring diamond ring on her finger that still surprised her every time that she saw it.

Kevin didn't respond. He just shoved his hands in his pockets while watching the rest of the practice while Stevie helped to direct the kids. It wasn't much longer until the practice wound down and parents came to pick up their kids. It didn't take long for them all to get picked up and the last parent there came running up.

"Sorry I'm late!" Carly apologized while she walked up to the field, her oldest son Ethan running over to hug his mom. "Did you have a good practice with Aunt Stevie?"

"Yeah!" Ethan bounced up and down.

"He hit an amazing line drive today," Stevie bragged on the little boy while she walked over to give her childhood friend Carly a tight hug.

"Auntie, can Ethan and I come over to your house if Dad says it's okay?" Jake walked up to hug his aunt's leg while she removed his baseball hat to ruffle up his soft brown hair before putting the hat back on.