Ely part 1

Boom-boom-boom, boom-boom, boom-boom-boom, Ely wakes to the rhythmic pattern of the tribal drums signaling that the Tournament of the Great Predators will be starting. It was in that moment she was going to risk it, she was going to compete in the tournament no one would know it was her, except maybe Kano, her older brother. Rising from her bed she dresses into her black kahas, that has white trees on the legs honoring the forest goddess, it’s fine material is made of a rare plant and fur mix that keeps her warm in the mountain air or cool in the desert winds; he has also allowed the Hajin to transform into their animal self without the skin-tight clothing,  and to appear as human with it on. Ely walks to the fireplace to heat up leftover meat, knowing she will be grateful for the extra protein later when the tournament runs through lunch; she finishes breakfast and turns to find her brother in the doorway.

“And where do you think you’re going dressed in that?”

“Kano, I think you know the answer to that.”

“Ely, you must not only be a predator but also a male to compete in the Tournament of the Greats”.

“They won't know it’s me, you have to show up transitioned, not as a human. You know I can fight, I’m as good as you. Let me fight; if I win, the Hajin might change, be accepting of future female predators.”

“Or they could banish you from Cadea for going against tournament rules.” Kano then looked at his little sister, a mistake, he realized that she wasn’t very little anymore, she has beat all of the males in the central tribe, including himself, in fighting and war strategy. With a sigh, he decided, “I will not keep you from competing, but I will not be able to help you with what the elders decide, their decision is final and you know it.”

“They only added that rule because they don’t want me to get hurt, I’m a grizzly, I’ll be fine, but I understand, the elders’ word is final.” Ely walks to where her brother stands, in the doorway of their home, a quaint log house at the uppermost part of the central triplett mountain of the Hajins’ land. She embraces her brother in a hug, “thank you, Kano”. She lets go and says, “Good luck beating me.” she punches his arm then jumps out of the house landing in the freshly fallen mountain snow; that now decorates every inch of the trees and ground after the previous night’s snowfall; as a large, muscular grizzly bear.

“Oh come on, you know I can beat you in a heartbeat,”Kano says before jumping after his sister into the wilderness; he lands on the ground as a lynx larger than any other Hajin lynx, thanks to his extensive training and muscle building exercises he has been doing for the past two years ever since he figured out when the tournament would be. Thinking to himself I hope I beat her, it would be embarrassing to lose to someone who didn’t even train for the event, especially if that person was your little sister.

That’s not what happened last week. Ely thought, kicking snow into her trailing brother’s face as they ran down the mountain.

The two raced down the mountain to the Tribes’ scrimmage ring where the tournament would be taking place; women, children and non-competing men from the 3 different tribes were already standing and sitting around the ring to watch the spectator. Sly nods to Kano to register them to fight, he transitions appearing in his kahas and goes to the registration table while Ely walks into the ring and stands at the edge waiting for Kano to return and taking advantage of observing her competitions behaviors identifying their weaknesses before she fights them.

“Hello there Kano, registering for the tournament?”

“Greetings, Reaham; yes sir, I am here to register myself and that grizzly from the western tribe,” Kano said pointing across the field to his sister waiting in the ring.