Chapter 1

Warning sirens whirred, piercing his ears like pins. His mind was racing and his heart pounding as adrenaline surged through his veins. Blood was pushed up against his skull from the G force, forcing him towards the edge of consciousness. Oxygen escaped his lungs. The cold sweat seeped from his pours. This was the end he thought. Images of his life flashed a million miles per second across his mind. A wooden horse, a broken arm, and two graves. Golden hair and soft sheets. Eyes that pierced his heart and a voice that melted his senses. A face faded into a soft, warm light. A light intensified and consumed his vision. Surroundings were fading and noise was dissipating. There was nothing but reflex, a memory of his muscle as he felt the faint, distant outline of a form through his numb skin and lost fingers. He pulled as If to secure some semblance of reality, to ground his life to a physical tether. A bang. A rush. Reality hit him again in the form of pains of steely wind. Air whipped around him, cold and tore at his flesh through his flight helmet and suit. At this moment he realized his predicament.

        His ejection seat had left the cockpit of his fighter jet. His plane was falling past his vision, through the clouds in a blaze. The parachute flew from the rear of the seat, wildly at first as the wind ripped against it. He was rocked back and forth as his life hung by the piece of fabric and plastic. Whipped violently, order was reestablished as the parachute unfurled and spread it's mass. Sitting upon the clouds, slowly descending, he can view the architect of his destruction. Speeding away from the scene was a craft resembling that of a boomerang but both sharp and fierce, cutting through the sky in an otherworldly motion. Behind it, two fighter jets identical to his own, quickly trailed the craft firing at it repeatedly, desperately trying to out maneuver its superior flying ability. They did not stand a chance. Seasoned fighter pilots did not stand a chance. He was no exception. The craft and the jets faded in the distance. He was left behind. He drifted upon the air as pain and exhaustion ate away again at his senses. He shut his eyes and tumbled to Earth.