Chapter 3

I sat in the end of the pew closest to the door and waited for the sermon to end. It felt as though everything moved in slow-motion, everything but my shaking hand. I couldn't sit still, I shuffled my feet, I inspected the scares and cracks in my hands and fiddled with the brim of my hat. When they started a closing prayer I stepped out of the room, I could no longer stand the building anxiety. The sound of people getting up was emanating from the room, people mumbling and murmuring amongst each other. Then the door shot open, making me jump slightly then smile, she came through the door and then looked through as she closed it, making sure her parents haden't noticed. She then turned to look at me and I stared into the eyes of an angel. She extended her arm and I took her dainty hand in mine then she lead me outside. Once we were out in the blazing sun we walked to the side of the building, into the shade. I couldn't manage a single word, I guess i had so much to say that it plugged my mind right up, but she wasn't saying anything either so she must have felt the same. She stood against the wall and i stood in front of her, close enough I could feel her warm breath. I grinned slightly and rested my hands on her cheeks very softly. "Hey," was all I said, what a pathetic first line to say to the girl who stole your heart. Non the less, she giggled a little and her cheeks went beat red and hot under my hands. 

"Hey." She replied in no more than a whisper. My smile went away, not because I was no longer happy, I was ecstatic, but because I was thinking, thinking about a kiss. So I slowly closed the gap between us  and barely touched my lips to hers.

"Lindsey, I love you." I breathed with my lips still on hers. 

"I l-love you too, Mark." she replied shakily. As if I had no control over my own actions my hands slowly slid down her sides, feeling her shake slightly with every inch, until they fell to her hips and stopped. I didn't notice the people pouring out of the church, getting in their cars and driving off, her eyes held all my attention, devouring me with a piercing stare. Luckily her parents do things in the church, giving us a hour to be together. our resting lips gradually formed into a kiss, one better than any other I'd ever had. My hands smoothly flowed around to the small of her back and I pulled her tight against me. She squirmed a little in my grasp and I let her go, confused. "So, anything interesting happen on the way down?" she asked, not letting her eyes meet mine.

"I, um, not really. Thinking about the destination made everything else seem like no more than an obstacle keeping me from you." I replied, very truthfully. Even when I stopped for sleep I couldn't help but think of all the time I'd lose. Those must have been the right words because she looked up a me through her wavy hair. 

"Really?" She sounded slightly doubtful in her question.

"Really really." That made her smile again and I smiled in response. "Not a single thing has ever been as important to me as standing here with you." Lindsey blushed hard then leaned into a small kiss.

"It means everything to me too." Apart from the occasional kiss we talked for the hour, about nearly every subject imaginable. If one knew who we were and what our background was we would be a sight to see. There was Myself, the Canadian, hockey playing, canoeing and snowmobiling frost bitten lumberjack. Then there was Lindsey, the delicate desert flower, an angel raised by a couple hell raisers and a patriotic Texan. Two different people from very different worlds. After most of our time was up I asked if there was a hotel near her house that i could stay in. "Oh, um, yeah there is, its a little ratty though."

"Its not a big deal to me, baby."

"Okay, well its the one with a big neon sign that says "Motel"." She said with a hand gesture.

"Alright, you'll know where I am if you need me." With that i gave one last dragged out, and passionate kiss and walked towards my truck. Once I was inside the truck, it being the hottest it had ever been form the air trapped inside and it sitting in the sun for hours, I looked over to see her looking at me. I waved and she waved back then I headed towards where the motel Lindsey told me about is. 

                                                                               *          *           *

She was right, like she usually is. The room was not exactly one belonging to a five star hotel. Stains on the walls and white carpet, I didn't let myself thing of what they were from. a chipped and worn night stand that had seen better days with 70's lamp sitting on it. The bed was at least clean and that was all I was worried about. I tossed all my belongings onto the floor and laid on the bed, having the best sleep I had had in quite some time.