REASONS*

A prelude.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Lena played with the delicate coils lining the shell of Diana's ear. "Any plans this weekend, love?"

They'd just finished up the lengthiest meeting possible, and after a hard, hot day on set, the only thing that had been remotely comforting (aside from the end of Sidney's talking) had been the gentle touch of Lena's fingers entwined in her curls.

Diana sighed as her mouth curved into a small smile. "Business," she finally replied, giving Richard and Sidney one last wave as they left the room. "Nothing too exciting, unfortunately. You?"

"Party planning." Lena gently twirled one of Diana's coils around her finger before pulling her hand away. She giggled when Diana's lips puckered into a playful pout.

"The holidays are right around the corner. I was thinking of having a little celebration before Thanksgiving, However, I'd be cutting it awfully close."

"You think so? A few weeks should probably be enough time to plan," Diana replied.

They both stood. Papers from tonight's meeting were strewn across the table. They contained a detailed play by play of Dorothy's teary-eyed return to Harlem after her harrowing journey through the realm of Oz.

Diana had rubbed her eyes a few times during the meeting to make sure she wasn't dreaming. In a matter of weeks, the laughs, the frustration, and the early morning rides to Queens would be over.

Although the end of post-production wasn't exactly new to her—thanks in part to Lady Sings the Blues and Mahogany—there was just something about this one, something far more complex, that made its ending so surreal.

"Oh, I'm not so sure," Lena said, leaning across the table. One by one, she gathered each paper and placed them in a neat stack. "A few weeks would be good for a small party. A large party on the other hand? Tuh! I'd need at least a month and a half!"

Diana reached for a paper that was at the far end of the table. She added it to the stack, smiling. "I'm always here if you need an extra hand."

Lena returned the smile. "That's awfully nice of you! I might actually take you up on that. I and Gail can handle most of it, but I've heard you know how to throw a party!"

"So I've been told," Diana laughed.

She'd contemplated letting her guard down ('Hell yeah, I do!'), but she'd learned that talking to Lena was like talking to her own mother. It was never wise to get too comfortable.

"I need all the help I can get," Lena exclaimed. "Especially with the alcohol. That Richard drinks like a fish. He finished a whole bottle of liquor by himself at the icebreaker and didn't even bat a darn eyelash!"

"He says he's trying to get a hold on that."

"That's good. However, I'm not going to hold my breath!" Lena gave her a playful wave and sighed, peering down at the papers. "This is why we shouldn't have meetings on Friday. The boss is in such a rush to leave that even he forgets to clean up after himself."

Diana swung her bag over her shoulder. "You'd probably be better off handing those over to Gail."

Lena responded with a suck of the teeth. "If only that were true. Her and Sidney have been difficult to reach lately. Can you believe that? My own daughter! Either way—" Lena pulled her into a gentle hug. "Off I go! If you talk to Michael, say goodnight to him for me, will you? I didn't really get the chance to. The boy was aloof all day."