Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The next morning I woke up earlier than usual. I rolled over and looked at the alarm clock that flashed bright next to me. I had to blink a few times before the numbers shown on the clock came in to focus. Only 6:30. I could go back to sleep for an hour, if I really wanted too. I thought to myself. Oh, well never mind that, I'm not even tired!

I was sure of that fact. I really wasn't tired.

No use just laying around, then. I slid out of my bed, folding the covers neatly over the bed. I walked downstairs. The tele was on, though the sound wasn't high.

Must have been why I didn't hear it from up there... Mum probably forgot to turn it off after the news, that's all. I convinced myself while switching it off. I walked in to the kitchen, and went to the cupboard. I stopped midway through opening it. I wan't alone.

"Why hello, is this your house? Sorry, just have to take care of a little something." The strangely dressed man from yesterday was standing on one of the counters looking at the ceiling.

"How did you... Why are you even in my house and awake at this hour?!"

"I was about to ask you the same question myself, Miss... Wendy it was, right?"

"Yes, but..."

"Now Wendy, please do let me get back to my work. It will only take longer if you babble on."

"Babble! I don't babble, and excuse me for saying, but this is my house!"

"Well, it won't be for long if you don't let me get back to my work."

"And what's that supposed to mean?"

"It means shut up!"

My jaw dropped. He had just told me to shut up. In my own home, too! This wasn't right. I would not have it!

"Now you listen here!" I shouted at him, stepping on the counter, though being quiet enough so mum and dad wouldn't wake. "I'd like to know what the hell you think you're doing in my house, Doctor, telling me to shut up!"

The man looked at me. He looked at the ceiling. He looked back at me. "... I'm trying to help." He said after a pause.

"Help? Help?! Rubbish that is! We don;t need any help at-"

"Ah. That's where you're wrong. You need a lot of help with the problem you lot have got."

"How do you mean, problem?"

"I mean-" He was interrupted by a soft patter above us. He looked at the ceiling and took out something that looked like a piece of metal with some fancy touches and a glowing purple light on top. He pointed it at the ceiling. "Just as I thought..." He muttered. "Well then, Wendy, If you want to see why I'm here, just lead me to whatever room this leads to." He pointed at the spot.

"You mean the study?"

"Yes, then, the study! To the study!" He said with enthusiasm.

I led him up the stairs. Why am I even doing this? He's just some guy from the Diner, and he somehow got in to my house without setting off an alarm. I should be calling the police right about now! I thought to myself. That was something i had been wondering ever since I saw him up on the counter. Why didn't I call the cops?

We arrived in the study. The man walked over to the corner where the pattering came from. He pointed his fancy glowing metal at the corner, a look of deep concentration on his face.