Chapter 5: Dinner

"You have to let people go

Everyone who's in your life are meant to be in your journey,
But not all of them are meant to stay till the end."
-Unknown

I flew down from my balcony, landing on the ground below. I didn't bother wearing any shoes and enjoyed the feeling of soft grass tickling against my bare feet. Vulcrian had dismissed me for the rest of the day, mumbling about more work to do. I had shrugged him off and left to enjoy the minimal free time I had.

    A familiar figure walking through the corridor caught my eye, his midnight black wings was hard to miss. "Rory!" I yelled, running up to catch up with the little speedster.

    He turned around and grinned. "Amara!" Arms wrapped themselves around my shoulders and I hugged him back. "I haven't seen you around in like forever!"

    "Oh you know, here and there with Vulcrian," I told him vaguely, waving my hands in the air.

    His eyes twinkled in mischief. "Ohh, so you guys are on first name basis huh?" He jabbed me in the stomach.

    "It's not like that!" I hissed, pushing him a few feet away. That boy is dangerous, especially with his sharp elbows. I stopped as I noticed the rich colored clothing he had on. A white wrap around shirt hugged his body, defining the slight muscles he had achieved over the years in the human world. A pair of gray trousers was paired with black leather shoes. I raised an eyebrow.

    "The King had picked me to be his personal servant!" He exclaimed, eyes bright.

    "Is that so?" I reached out to tousle his hair in which he scowled and slapped my arm away. I pouted, "Ouchie."

    "Well, I have to go. Duty calls!" He bounded away but stopped around a corner. "Amara?"

    "Yes?"

    "You should eat with us. Galore misses you." With that he disappeared. I paused. I hadn't eaten with the other servants yet despite the amount of days I've been here. However, in my defense, no one told me where they eat.

    Lifting myself up into the air, I decided to explore more of the palace grounds. Better get myself acquainted if I'm going to be living here for the rest of my life.

    It wasn't until night fell when Vulcrian came knocking on my door. Apparently, several servants fell sick and they needed replacements for serving dinner. So, in a rush of panic I flew towards the grand children behind a huge set of double doors. A look of relief flashed through the head maid as she dragged me towards several covered trays placed at the head of the table.

    "Start with these, when you're done come back here and you will carry out the others." I nodded along with the rest of the girls. Picking up a large tray, I followed the rest of the maids down a hallway, heads down.

    Two guards clad in armor and spears in one hand opened the door. We walked in and I tilted my head up and let out a small gasp of wonder. "Shh!" The maid walking beside me hissed, shooting a glare me way. I curled my lips and stuck out my tongue once she had her head down again.

    Looking back up, a large picture of the kingdom hung from the wall made from various colored glass. They shimmered and seemed to come alive as the sun shone through them, casting different colors on the opposite wall. Several doorways were in front of us and some were in the walls. White beads hung from them, creating a curtain and obscuring what was inside.

    However what surprised me the most was the floating rectangular table encrusted with golden swirls at the ends. The King and Queen sat on each end on floating cushioned seats. Their magnificent white wings were held regally behind them. The other figure was none other than the Prince who was sitting on one side, brooding. On the other side, another male sat. His red brown wings were fluttered as he cast the Prince a smirk.

    "Ah! The food is here!" He cried once he saw us. Flying up towards them, my eyes immediately caught Vulcrian's who's brooding expression wiped away and replaced with a small smile. Placing the tray in front of him with my head down, I followed the rest of the girls back out the door.

    "Chop Chop! Get your wings fluttering!" The head made ordered as she practically shoved a huge jug of some red liquid into my hands. It was heavy and the thing nearly slipped out of my hands, the red liquid nearly splashing onto my shirt. They better not drink blood.

    Flying out the door instead of walking this time, I rushed into the dining room. However in my haste, I knocked into the stone pillar and the jug ended up crashing onto the linoleum floor. The red liquid splashed onto the shiny floor and I flinched. Please don't have my head. Please don't have my head.

    "Who is this maid?" The Queen's chilling voice sounded from above and I looked up, shaking. Her eyes narrowed and a hint of shock overtook her features.

    Quickly I kneeled, "I'm sorry Your Majesty. I-I tend to be very clumsy and was not watching where I was going." My whole body was shaking as I awaited their orders. Oh god, they're going to kill me. I'm too young to die.

    "I'm sorry Mother. She's my new maid and isn't very familiar with serving food. Please don't be too hard on her." I almost breathed a sigh of relief at Vulcrian's voice. I bit my lip, keeping my head bowed.

    "But she looks-" The Queen started but was quickly cut off.

    "I know. But she's not." Vulcrian's voice was cold, causing a chill to run down my spine. Was this something to do with random people calling me Mira? Who on earth is this Mira?

    A quiet sigh. "Fine. You may leave." The breath I was holding in let loose as I hopped up and quickly curtsied. Glancing back, I caught the sight of Vulcrian giving his mother a small glare.

Flying out of there, I headed back to the kitchen where the head maid was waiting. She raised an eyebrow at the quarter filled jug. "U-um. I accidentally spilled it?" I gave her a sheepish grin as she sighed and swatted me on the back of the head, mumbling something about being useless.

    Giving up on my hopelessness, she shooed me away and I was glad to go. I flew out of the kitchen, ignoring the curious looks the guards threw my way and bounded towards my room. Closing the door behind me, I sighed and sat down on the fluffy rug and watched as the sun slowly descend in the horizon.

Don't be silent readers! Hit that star and comment your thoughts!