Friday Night Lights

"Do we have to go to the game," Jake whines from inside my bedroom.  

I blinked securing my contacts into place. I never wear contacts, they're too annoying to worry about in my opinion. "If you're going to whine you're staying home."

"But I don't wanna be alone." I can envision the pout on his face. 

Sighing I take one last glance in the mirror, I look like a different person without my bulky glasses. Opening my bathroom door the rest of the way I gesture to my outfit for Jake's opinion. He sits up on my bed his gaze looking over me. 

"That's it I'm going and I'm driving," Jake deadpans meaning I have no say in the matter. 

"What changed your mind mister I hate football and everything about it," I question grabbing my black zip up jacket off my chair. If he's driving I'm going to need it. 

Jake shrugs, "Thought I might give it a chance." 

"You're a terrible liar. Don't even try," I laugh heading down the stairs of my house. 

"I figured your dad would want someone to keep an eye on you tonight. Isn't that right Dale," Jake smirks as we pass my dad in his arm chair watching television. 

My dad glances over at the two of us. "Of course. Someone's got to keep my baby girl safe." 

"Daddy I'm not a baby anymore," I warn him. He simply laughs and returns his attention to the television. 

Jake grabs my hand dragging me out of the house and across the street to his. His motorcycle sits in the driveway with his helmet. He hands me the helmet and I know the drill. When I first rode it with him I was terrified not only because I had not been on one before but mostly for the fact he had no helmet because he forced me to wear his only one. I know there's no point in arguing, Jake makes a mule seem obedient. 

We make it to the school in no time and park near the front, his motorcycle easily sliding into a spot on the end. Kick off is in a few minutes. "Are we going to stay the entire time?" Jake gripes. 

"Try to enjoy yourself please," I plead giving him the puppy eyes. "For me."

"Alright just stop with the eyes," Jake shivers. "I'm not supposed to have a weakness Cass." 

"Right you're the 'resident bad boy'," I chuckle. Only I know Jake is everything from that. He resembles more of a giant teddy bear than anything.  

"You say that like I'm not."

I smile zipping up my jacket. We pay the lady for our tickets and head inside just as the ball is kicked off to our team. "Come on let's go," I grab Jake's hand impatiently dragging him towards the bleachers. The student section is at the far end and is already packed, if we want a decent seat we're going to have to book it. 

"Sorry Cass I need to duck away for a bit," My eyes follow his gaze. Macy, his ex, is walking hand in hand with another guy. Like I said he's a teddy bear, you just want to hug him and tell him everything's going to be alright, that she's a slut anyways. 

I nod giving him a small smile before heading in separate directions. The sun is going down and the temperature is quickly dropping. A part of me wishes I brought a sweatshirt instead. I pick up the pace making it to the student section. 

"Cassie," Payton yells from the front. Payton is my vice president and also known as my best girl friend. I jog up the steps making my way to her. "I didn't think you were coming. I take it Jake couldn't be convinced," She comments frowning a bit. 

"He's hiding from Macy and her new boyfriend right now." 

Payton nods and our attention turns to the field. I find myself watching for Garrett more than I ever have. He's our best wide receiver, already broke four of the school's records and is bound for an amazing college with a full ride. "Got our eyes for Strong do we," Payton nudges my side.