The Talk

I tapped the end of my pencil against my desk, as the noise seemed much louder in the dead silent classroom. With my head propped up on one of my hands, I read the second question over and over again. The sheets of paper stapled at the top, with the heading of 'unit 1: bio test' at the top in bold letters, located beside the line where I printed my name. I couldn't quite concentrate, for I hadn't studied the tiniest bit—even with the few minutes before class—as that panic crept up inside me by the minute. I had completely forgot about that test, and I was petrified I would fail. I had always been rather scared to do bad in class or fail a test, even though I knew I wouldn't get into too much trouble at home. My parents would have just told me to study more, and that was all. It was just that I didn't want to do poorly. But I knew this test would lower my grade for the beginning of the year, as I just kept on repeating the question over and over again in my head, without really understanding it, or processing the question.

  '2. Which cellular organelle contains enzymes that are considered digestive?'
I had no clue as to that answer, and so far all I had written down was my first answer, in which I knew was right.

  '1. What is the term used for asexual reproduction?'
  'Answer: Mitosis.'
That's all I knew so far, and looking at those questions that were asked and written down under the second question, I had a funny feeling that was going to be the only answer I got right on the whole test.

  I looked up at the clock, located close to the door for the fourth time in that class, as it read only three minutes had gone by. Great. And I then peered back towards the paper, as I continued to tap my pencil onto the desk, making a soft clinking noise, however in that silent room, it sounded much louder than any soft tone.

  Amber was to my left, as I looked over towards her slowly, making sure I didn't turn my head completely towards her, as I could tell she had really studied, as she was already onto the second page of the four-paged test, and I was still on the first. Her pencil and hand writing so fiercely and sharply, as if she was racing with someone to see who could finish first. And that made me even more nervous, as I looked around some more, and most of the kids surrounding me, in the third row were already done the first page, and some well done their second. That lump beginning to form in the back of my throat, as I tried concentrating once more, but nothing would work. Come on. You were listening in class. You should know this. Why don't you know this? You wrote down all the notes, you were paying attention in class. So why can't you remember anything the teacher was talking about before? What's wrong with you? Why can't you remember? But that was something I hadn't always been too keen with in the past; remembering things. Sure, I wasn't totally bad, and it wasn't like I always forgot things, only some things. Especially when it came to school, or a subject that I didn't find too interesting.

  And just as I began to think this whole test, and myself included was doomed to fail, a sudden knock on our classroom door caught my attention along with everyone else's, as we all placed our pencils down and peered at our school principal, and two other adults wearing uniforms standing outside of our classroom.

  "Sorry to interrupt. But can I barrow Mallory Philips for the remainder of the class please?" Our principal, Mr. Jenkins, with the shiny bald head and suit and tie asked up first, as all eyes began to wander over towards me, as a shock of embarrassment, but also relief settled over myself, as I began to get up and place my bag over my shoulder, leaving my test and pencil on the desk. I was embarrassed, by the students all staring at me as I got up, almost doing the walk of shame or something out to the principal's office, however I was also relieved that I didn't have to finish that damn test. Giving me much more time to study the next night, before I would have to resume that god awful quiz.