His Fateful Wedding

Chapter 34: His Fateful Wedding

"Love is not finding someone to live with. It's finding someone you can't live without." - Rafael Ortiz

Dante Scarfone

I tied the long piece of black cloth around my neck as I stood still in front of the mirror, seeing and making sure it was tied into perfection.

Professional tailors circled me all at once, my overall appearance reflecting in their observing eyes and soon disappointment flaunted in their faces - even I found discontent on the cloth I sampled. Usually I would never bother to dress in my best but now I will.

"How about a silver necktie instead?" I heard my mother asked to one of the tailors.

"Of course, Madame!"

The said tailor granted her request before ordering his employees to undo the tie from my neck and to bring another one in which they all did in eagerness. I remained motionless in front of the mirror as the tailors did their deed on me - then I spotted a smooth silver cloth being strapped under my collar and I sighed in relief at the splendid contrast of the color on the black suit of my choice.

"Perfect!" both she and the tailor beamed behind me in delight.

I brushed my hand on the surface of my hair doused in pomade, feeling the cream substance sliding against my skin. I nodded, finally satisfied of my groomed self.

"I'll take these." I said.

Turning on my heels, I was greeted by a charming sight of the woman who gave birth to me.

Her simple pearl white gown appeared grand in her, after all her natural prettiness can transform a plain dress into that of noble attires. Helena smiled at me ruefully, "Is there really no chance for me to change your mind, dear? I know I'm being selfish but I rather be instead of seeing the boy I raised and loved fall apart more than he already did... is it really too late to stop you?"

"I promised to be there for him." I replied.

"But Julian will surely understand if you can't-" she started.

However, she cut off her words when I decided to look away. I didn't need to hear the rest of it because I'll still hold onto the promise no matter the consequences that will come to me after.

She sighed, "I'll see you in the carriage outside."

Thus with that said, she left me behind inside the clothing store and I took it as a cue to continue on preparing myself.

Each tailor and stranger admired me from their places, all of them had the same thing in their mind and it was apparent to the way they looked at me, and so I fought myself to pretend that I didn't see it or else I might start believing that I was the groom they thought I'll be.

The sound of wedding bells resonating throughout the cathedral, along with the chattering and giggling noises were all filled with excitement. The blinding sunlight was peeking through the huge stained glass window of the cathedral and was planting warmness on the altar below. The sight was so unfathomable and perfect. There were silver white roses decorated in every pillar of the cathedral hall, giving purity and innocence ambiance around us with a long traditional but alluring red carpet welcoming everyone attending.

Countless important guests arrived in the cathedral dressed in their own decent and formal attires which were specifically reserved for this precious day. The cathedral benches were now crowded with familiar people seen seated in the wooden pew in front whereas they would look at me with cheerful smiles in them as if they were silently congratulating me but I knew better so I looked away.