Swing

"Casey, come on," she yells to me, smiling while running with me chasing after her. My distance remains, but I still feel like I'm running to her. "Swing with me." I try to reach out to her. She jumps on the swings and starts to swing. "Casey, don't be scared it's alright," she laughs at me, gently swaying back and forth. I scream her name repeatedly, struggling to reach her to grab on to her and pull her back to life. She starts to slowly fade away with the wind. Her face turns bittersweet as she whispers, "I'm here." She reaches out for my hand while our distance increases further. "I'm watching over you." I keep screaming her name as she disappears. I fall to my knees and cry. "Don't forget to live and remember I'll always be watching over you," she whispers as my vision turns black.

           Gasping for air, I wake up and turn on the light. I walk into the bathroom and stare at myself. I notice tears falling from my eyes. Turning away from my reflection, I slide to the floor.  My alarm clock blares, waking me from my state of daze. I slowly start to get up to turn the annoying thing off. I slowly look through my clothes. Finally, I choose a pair of skinny jeans, band tee, and hoodie. Getting dressed, I hear my mother waking up. Finished, I sit and put on my shoes when I hear footsteps coming towards my door.

            "Wake up Casey. It's time to get ready for school," my mom warns me softly, opening the door. She peers inside, surprised to see me already dressed. "Are you hungry?" she asks routinely. I shrug and turn my back on her. She sighs and walks off to fix breakfast. I spike my hair up a bit and looked in the mirror. A tan teenager wearing jeans and a band t-shirt with dull bright blue eyes, frowning pale pink lips, and perfectly messy blonde and blue hair stared back at me. I give a quick fake half-smile and grab my book-bag next to the long mirror.

            I walk quickly out of my room and glance longingly at her bedroom and stop momentarily. It's exactly the way it was the morning she died. The bed still unmade and clothes on the floor. Paper-balls surrounding the trashcan, CD's all over the room, and her i-pod laying on her desk, waiting for her to grab it and listen to it. A familiar pain aches in my heart. I look down and quickly walk past the room. I see my mother finishing setting breakfast on the table. She smiles at me and grabs her magazine off the coffee table. We both sit down and fix our plates.  I start to eat while she reads her magazine, taking random small bites. My father walks in, grumbling loudly and sits down with his newspaper in his hand. He starts to noisily eat and read. Breakfast went by painfully and slowly. I quickly get up and put my dishes in the dish washer. I walk quietly back to my room and brush my teeth. After I finished, I left for school. School went by early and I hurried home.