Two

Two.

            Vanessa leaned back in her seat, tipping her chair onto its back two legs. She was dressed in her usual loose jeans and sweatshirt that had a “V” cut into the front of it, so anyone who cared to look closely enough could see her collar bones peeking through the opening. She dug through her black leather bag until she found the spearmint gum she was looking for. She slipped the piece between her two glossed lips as she listened to Principal Jewlen drone on with the morning announcements.  Vanessa completely zoned out until suddenly her attention was caught by a redhead hurrying into the classroom, her freckled cheeks flushed red.

            That was Amelia Wickham. They’d been going to school together ever since Vanessa moved to town in the sixth grade. Now in their senior year of high school, the two girls had never talked. That was mostly due to the fact that, up until last year, looking at Amelia grossed Vanessa out. The girl had been fat and constantly dressed in designer clothes that were obviously made for girls half her size.

            Vanessa had seen Amelia’s mother around before, and she was absolutely gorgeous. One of the pretty redheads- not an awkward one like her daughter- who couldn’t have been anything less than five-foot-eight or anything more than 130lbs. Somehow the pretty gene had appeared to skip her daughter, up until little Amelia started dropping weight. Suddenly her freckles seemed to be more of a decoration and less of a blemish on her gradually-slimming face. Her designer clothes looked more stylish and less like a fleeting attempt at acceptance. Vanessa didn’t even mind watching Amelia walk to her seat now that she wasn’t distracted watching the way that the fat on her classmate’s thighs rippled every time she took a step.

            Amelia had lost all of that weight so quickly, Vanessa couldn’t bring herself to believe it’d been by natural means. But then again, maybe it was just the average anorexic teen in her speaking, dying to have a buddy to fast with and someone to share her collection of pro-ana collages with.

Psh…yeah right. You’re just pissed off she’s not as skinny as she should be by now if she is part of the ED crew. We’re not all as perfect as you, honey.

            The redhead took her seat on Vanessa’s left and began to arrange her books for her first period class. What Vanessa noticed on the girl’s hand made her heart jump for just a second. The knuckle connected to her pointer finger was red…as if it had been rubbing against something. A tooth maybe? Vanessa mentally scolded herself for having these ridiculous notions.

She doesn’t have a disorder. Not everyone is you. Remember when you thought Monica was ED? Remember how smoothly that worked out?

I know but….gosh, how does someone lose weight that fast if not with Ana?

She’s not ED. She can’t be. It’d be too…coincidental.

Then, maybe I could help her along with the weight loss. Give her a few tricks in case she gets stuck.

Well…she does look like you did when you first started out. Look at how she’s keeps fixing her shirt, and pressing a hand against her stomach, like she’s trying to flatten it. That looks promising…

Oh yes, it does.

I’m thinking we go over to our new friend’s house tonight. Unfortunately for Chrissy, that means we won’t be home for dinner tonight.

I love the way you think.

            Vanessa leaned towards Amelia, her pack of gum still in her hand. She held it out towards the girl until Amelia caught sight of it and looked up at its owner.