Chapter 10

I'm so sorry it's been so long between updates!! Life has been crazy lately... we're moving Oct 1st, work has been crazy, my parents were up visiting, and lots of other random stuff. And I'm recording my first CD, I launched the online fundraiser this week, so that was taking up lots of extra time. So once things settle down I'll be able to go back to regular updates again. In the meantime, here is a chapter I've been working on for a couple weeks now in between all the craziness. Enjoy! Don't forget to vote!!

******************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 10

The day before the wedding finally came, and people started arriving at the castle. There were many guests from the surrounding clans that were coming to celebrate, some riding several days to be there. Ailsa was introduced to more people than she could possibly remember, and she started to feel a bit overwhelmed again. After supper she retreated to her room, saying she was tired. A knock soon came at the door. “Who is it?” Ailsa called. “It's Irene, dear. I have somethin' fer ye.”

Irene came in with a small wooden box, and sat down on the bed next to Ailsa. She smiled kindly. “I know ye are tired, lass; plannin' a wedding is very stressful and emotional. I'll make sure no one bothers ye tonight so ye can rest.” Ailsa breathed a sigh of relief knowing that Irene understood. “Thank ye, Irene; I was worried that I was being rude.” Irene laughed. “Nay, child! In fact, many brides get very difficult to deal with right before the wedding, with nerves being strung so high and the men being in the way all the time.” She chuckled. “It's enough to drive a woman mad at times, lass!” Ailsa giggled. She was so thankful for Irene; she was like a mother to her already.

Irene handed her the box. “This was my mother's, and her mother's before her, and now it's yer turn.” Ailsa opened the box and gasped. Resting on a bed of blue silk was a gorgeous necklace and earrings set. The necklace was made of several gold chains of varied lengths, gathered in the center by a small green stone. The earrings were made of gold surrounding matching stones, and dangled just below her ears. “Irene, I cannae take these! They are too precious a gift!” Ailsa gasped. “They are fit for a queen!”

Irene laughed. “Nay, child, these jewels are much too plain for a queen. You'll see much finer jewels when ye reach the court. But I want ye to have them, and I want ye to look yer best among all the fancy ladies. Ye are representing the McTaggarts too, now.” Ailsa clutched the box to her chest. “Thank ye,” she whispered, smiling. Irene tushed and gave her a hug, then took the box from Ailsa and set it on the bed. She patted Ailsa's hand with her own weathered one.

“Now, child, we must have the awkward conversation that all young ladies have the night before they are wed.” Ailsa flushed and Irene chuckled. “Donnae worry, lass. It may be a bit embarrassing, but ye will be glad for it tomorrow!” She winked and grinned as Ailsa's face grew even redder. She didn't think that was possible. “So what do I need to know?” She asked tentatively.

“Well, I suppose we should find out what ye do know already. Have ye ever seen a man's manhood before?” Ailsa shook her head. “Not clearly. When Angus raided the castle his men ravished some of the women, but I couldnae see much. The servants would do it sometimes in the storeroom, but the woman's skirts always hid everything. Angus made advances towards me when I was older, but he didnae touch me or show himself to me.”

Irene crossed herself. “Thank the Lord Almighty fer that! Well, I'll explain it then. Normally a man's manhood is soft and not very large. But when he gets excited, his manhood becomes long and hard.” Ailsa looked confused. “What do ye mean by excited? Like when he gets excited about gettin' a new horse?”

Irene laughed. “Nay, this is a different sort of excitement, and certainly not caused by a horse! A man gets excited this way when he looks at or touches the woman he loves.” She cleared her throat. “Generally the less ye are wearing, the more excited he will be.” Ailsa's eyes were wide, and she nodded. Irene continued. “So when his manhood becomes hard, he can push it inside of ye.” Ailsa's eyes got even wider. “Inside me? But where?” Although she knew that sex involved intimacy, she had never been told exactly what happened when a man took a woman. Based on what little she had seen of the servant's escapades, she guessed it went somewhere between her legs.

“Well lass, his manhood goes in where yer monthly courses go out,” Irene explained. “Then he will push in and out of ye. Eventually he'll spill his seed in ye, and that is what creates a bairn.” She smiled, seeing the unsure look on Ailsa's face. “Donnae worry, lass. Arthur will be gentle with ye, and he'll make it pleasurable for ye as well as him. It will hurt when he first enters ye, and ye will have some blood as he takes yer virginity, but after that the feelings will be much more pleasurable.”

Ailsa's mind wouldn't stop turning that night as she tried to fall asleep. Her heart was a flurry of emotions: Her love for Arthur, her desire to be his wife, her nervousness for the wedding, her fear of the wedding night, the imminent battle to regain her lands… she couldn't sleep. She tossed and turned for at least an hour, but it was of no use. Sighing, she threw back the covers and went to the window. She could see the ocean waves crashing against the rocky shore, and she closed her eyes as the ocean scent filled her senses. Her mind turned to the wedding, and the wedding night. She knew Arthur would not hurt her, but she was still nervous. What would it feel like? The servant girls had seemed to enjoy the experience, so it couldn't be that bad.

She remembered his kisses and smiled. If his kisses were so addicting, how could this experience be frightening? She wrapped her arms around herself as the chilly night air blew over her. Then she saw a figure walking down the path to the water. She knew immediately that it was Arthur. She pulled on the green dress he had bought her and carefully crept through the castle until she reached the door. The moon cast a pale light over the courtyard and offered enough light for her to make her way towards where she had seen Arthur.

She reached the top of the path and could see him near the water. She walked carefully down the rocky path, her slippers causing a few rocks to scatter. He heard the sound and turned quickly, his expression softening when he saw her. He met her where the path met the course sand and embraced her. "Ye couldnae sleep either?" Ailsa nodded. "Too many things on my mind." He brushed a kiss across her lips and smiled, something he had rarely done before she had won over his heart. "Come with me, we'll talk." He grabbed her hand and led her to a large fallen log that rested in the sand. They sat on it, nestled close together with Arthur's arm around her.

"What's on yer mind, my love?" He asked, turning slightly so he could see her face. Ailsa sighed. "Many things, Arthur. I'm nervous for the wedding tomorrow, seeing the king and fighting for my lands, and-" she paused, embarrassed to tell him that she was nervous about the wedding night. But he seemed to understand, because he smiled and caressed her cheek gently. "If it's the weddin' night ye fear for, I promise I willnae hurt ye. And if ye donnae feel ready to do it that night, ye may have all the time ye need. I love ye, and I wouldnae want to cause ye any distress."

Small tears filled her eyes at his kindness. She didn't know much about the actual art of lovemaking, but she did know that it was very important to a man, so this was a huge sacrifice for him. "Nay Arthur, I will be ready tomorrow eve; but it means the world to me that ye would not pressure me to do it before I felt ready." She nuzzled her face into his neck. "Ye are the kindest man I have ever known. Sometimes I feel I donnae deserve ye."

Before she knew what was happening, Arthur's arms were wrapped tightly around her and his mouth was claiming hers in a passionate kiss. He pulled back just enough to whisper against her mouth. "I donnae ever want to hear words like that come from those lips again, Ailsa. 'Tis I who am blessed to have ye; you are more worthy than I could ever be." He cut off her reply with another long kiss.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and closed her eyes, relishing the moment, the feel of his body so close to hers, his lips on hers, excitement filling her body… yes, she would be ready for tomorrow eve.