4. Niall

Yessssss I screamed in my head as the buzzer went. I really felt it was a crime to let our colleges last until 4.30pm on a Friday. Didn't they realise Friday was a date night? People needed to get ready for that, you know? I ignored the professor who kept rambling on about the subject he wanted to finish, and a quick look around taught me I wasn't the only one ignoring him. Once my stuff was packed into my backpack I turned around to Louis, my best friend since we were 2 months old (or that's what our mothers say anyway) who lived right next door to me. I slapped my hand on his books, signalling him to hurry up. Emily and I were going out tonight, and I had to make sure I looked smashing.

When he finally packed up his bag, we walked out of the classroom, out of the building and on to the streets, following the stream of people who were walking down to the train station. Luckily, most people who went to college here were actually heading the other way, so our platform was reasonably quiet when the train arrived. There still were a few empty spots as we were yet to pass through the city center.

I flopped myself into an empty seat at the window, and Louis fell down beside me. "You know Louis, Emily is so great!" I started. "She even loves the same movies as I do, I've never met a girl who loves those gory slasher movies. It's so cool!" I kept rambling on about Em, I had only just met her last week on a night out in the pub with Lou and some of our other friends, and I was totally crazy about her. Tonight was going to be our second date, and I hoped to find out if she liked me just as much, maybe even get to kiss her. Yep, I'm that kind of guy that is okay with not kissing on the first date. My mummy taught me well. I only noticed Louis wasn't really listening anymore when I looked up at him. He was reading a book. Well, what a nice way of letting me know he didn't care. I huffed and looked out of the window. The train stopped again, at its last stop before it would go underground for the rest of its way to our neighbourhood. My feet started twitching, earning me an irritating glare from Louis.

"Do you need to pee, Niall?" he asked.

"No." I lied.

"Niall. I know you do." he replied, glaring at me.

"No, it's fine, really. I can wait until we are home."

"Niall, that's over half an hour to go, and you're already twitching your legs. Go."

I huffed at him. He should know by now, after 21 years of being my best friend that I hated small spaces. And I don't think there's a space that qualifies more as a small space than a train toilet. I tried keeping my feet still so Louis wouldn't get so irritated, but then I felt my full bladder even more. Why couldn't I have remembered to go pee at college? My legs started twitching again and Louis shot me his evil glare. Scary guy when he does that.

"Fine!" I scoffed. "I'll go pee. Keep my seat, or I'll make you share yours." I warned him, knowing the train would soon be flooded with tons of people going home from work. I got up and tried to make my way to the toilet in the next carriage. Just my luck that we were in one without. The train was getting really crowded, and I was pretty sure Louis wouldn't be able to keep my seat, if he even cared enough to do so. Finally I reached the toilet, and luckily a woman just came out of it and there wasn't anyone else waiting. I smiled at her and got inside myself. Yuck. Public toilets. I hated them, and not only because they were always extremely small. The smell was almost too much, and taking a look at the toilet seat, I thanked the lord I was a boy and didn't need to sit down on it.

A blissful sigh escaped my lips when I felt release washing through my body. Best. Feeling. Ever. Well, except for... you know what. A smile formed on my lips as I put everything back in its place, but it was soon replaced with pure shock as I felt myself being swung into the sink next to me. Everything went black. I thought for a second I had passed out. Or died. Did I die? No. I could still feel the pain from being stuck in my zipper. Not dead, definitely. I cursed, both at myself for getting stuck in my zipper and at the darkness surrounding me. Wasn't it bad enough that little old claustrophobic me had to use this tiny little dirty toilet that they had to switch off the lights too?

Much to my relief, the toilet appeared to have emergency lightning, which flickered on, it seemed like minutes after everything had gone black, but that was probably just my dramatic side. I adjusted everything, took extra care when I pulled the zipper back up and made my way out of the toilet, to find the entire train drenched in the same eery light from the emergency light bulbs, or whatever you should call them. I had managed to reach the door to our carriage when a message sounded to the train. Fix it as soon as possible. Yeah, as if. That would probably mean tomorrow evening. Well, nowhere to go anyway, I supposed.

I pulled the door open and made my way through the crowd to our seats, a little kid clinging to its mother while sobbing. Probably afraid of the dark or something. I finally spot Louis at the other end of the aisle. Great. I should've known he wouldn't keep my seat. Well, suits him, I'm taking a seat anyway, he'll just have to make himself smaller.