Subject Twelve

Thud!

Thud!

Thud!

Kendra pressed her ear against the cold metal door in her cell. She could hear the step of the guard as he walked back and forth in what she guessed was a long hallway. She couldn’t be sure though because she had only been allowed out of her cage- as she called it- once and that didn’t really count because she had be drugged with morphine so much that when she finally passed out the only thing she could remember was being grabbed by someone.

Thud!

She turned away from the door and ran towards the small bed in the corner as she heard the footsteps stop in front of her cell door. Instead of just sitting on the bed or hiding herself underneath the thin covers she simply crouched on the ground beside it, her arms wrapping around her legs and she bowed her head down. ‘Last step’ she then started rocking her body moving back and forth like a baby’s cradle.  

Screech….

She could faintly hear the sound the door made as it slipped open and as the guard slipped inside, probably to give her her daily meal –if she could even call it a meal-

“Hey Twelve hurry up and eat your meal!”  The guard yelled. He was under others not to leave the room until the girl had eaten so he could take the plate away.

Rule Number 3: Never leave any sharp objects within subject twelve’s reach. The guard recited in his mind.

He finally took a proper look at the girl when she didn’t come quickly like she usually did. She was sitting in an alarmed type of position next to her bed, her body rocking back forth. With a muttered, “what now,” and a reluctant sigh and headed towards the girl plate still in hand.

Kendra’s body tensed as the guard laid a hand on her shoulder. The grip was not gentle and she tried to silence the wince of pain that escaped from her lips. As silently as she could she slowly uncrossed her arms and quick as a bolt of lightning she brought her elbow up hitting the side of the guards face with it. She could feel the dislocation of bones as her elbow made contact with the guards face.

“Dam it!” The guard yelled holding onto his nose. Kendra took this as her chance to quickly unfold herself and run for the door which the guard had stupidly left open probably thinking these day would be like all the others.

Nearly there, nearly there. Kendra thought as she neared the door. Her heart was pumping a mile a minute and her breath was already ragged from hope even if she hadn’t run even six metres. Just a bit lo- she was cut off from that thought as she felt a hand grabbing roughly onto her arm.

No!

Kendra spun around looking at the sneer on the guards face.

“Though you could get away huh?” He said mockingly; spit splashing her face as he did.

She scanned the area for anything that might be able to help her, quickly spotting the plate in the guard’s hand. As fast as she could she used the hand that wasn’t in the guards hold to grab the plate.

A loud smash could be heard through the cell as she brought the plate down onto the guards face.

Please, please pass out or something. Kendra desperately thought as the guards grip on her didn’t loosen. Just as she was about to give up and simply apologise deeply to the guard, doing anything she could to redeem herself so as not to get punished the guards started to sway on his feet. Kendra watched him, her dark brown eyes widening in surprise.

Thunk!

Kendra stared down at the guard –now passed out on the ground- disbelievingly. She just stood there, frozen, for a couple of minutes, just staring at the guard. What are you doing moron. She mentally scolded herself, finally looking away from the guard and running for the door.

She quickly ran down the long hallway –I was right about it being a hallway- the sound of her feet touching the cold cement floor echoing. She halted to a stop as she neared a turn, listening for any type of noise before carefully looking around the corner to see if anyone was there.

Coast clear, she thought to herself before she started running down the hallway again.

She repeated this process for the next few corners always been extra careful to listen for any noise.

Kendra’s footsteps sped up a she neared a large metal doorway a large EXIT sign above it. Unfortunately in her haste to reach the door she didn’t notice the thin red line that stretched across the floor. 

BEEP!! BEEP!!

“No, dam it!”  She yelled out her hands shaking from anger and desperation. Maybe I can still make it. Just as she thought about that 3 big buffy guys came running out through the door. Well there goes that thought.

Quickly turning she headed down back the way she came pressing herself against the door as one of the guys came running right pass her. Hope swelled up in her chest as he for some completely unthinkable reason didn’t notice her.

 But then she had to go ruining that though as she relaxed against the wall, not noticing one of the others coming right down the path the other guy – let’s call him guy number 1- had.

“Hey I found her. Over here!” Dam

Guy number 1 halted to a stop his shiny black shoes making a screeching noise as they slid against the floor and started heading straight towards her again.

Kendra frantically looked around but she could see no form of escape as the buffy guys closed in on her from both directions.

Just as she was about to get crushed to pieces from what was probably 100 or something pounds of weight she quickly ducked to the side causing the buffy guys to bump into each other painfully instead of her.

Victory! She did a mental happy dance in her head before running back towards the door. She could hear the pounding of feet behind her as she neared the door but just as they were getting closer she passed through the door turning and slamming it shut in their faces quickly locking it shut with the keys the guards had left their in their haste to get to her.  This company really need to get smarter workers. She thought turning around.

Kendra halted to a stop staring at the strange boy that she had come face to face to as soon as she turned around.

There were two reasons she didn’t run away:

One: The boy had a bow and arrow, arrow already ready and pointing at her.

And Two:  When she took a proper look at her around her she noticed nine or something other buffy guys laying on the ground either passed out on the ground or with and arrow sticking through their chest dead.

“What!” She yelled shocked at the same time the boy screamed, “what the hell?!”

Comments?