Chapter 12: The Rain that Blocks the Light

Author's note: I am so sorry that I haven't been updating for almost 4 months! I have been writing this, though I had to take a break due to school, homework and swim season starting, not to mention finals. It's also been really difficult to find inspiration to write after I went through some hard times in October. However, I hope to be able to continue this and a fanfiction called "The Sparrows Citadel" has given me some ideas as to citadel life, so shoutout to the author, Youne! Without further ado, here's the chapter.

    Mizu wasn't thrilled with Konnosuke's enthusiasm about her gaining a large quantity of spiritual energy. Her knowledge on it was limited, only giving her the information that spiritual energy was how the Saniwa gave them life and human forms. That's beside the point, however. The factor that unnerved Mizu was what Konnosuke's opinions were on the matter.

    "I suggest that we inform the government on this matter," the kitsune claims. "This is revolutionary, and could be the key to advancing Saniwa abilities and technologies to win this war!"

    An involuntary shiver crept down the touken joshi's spine at Konnosuke's statement. That's all she was, right? Mizu couldn't prevent the thoughts. She is a sword, after all; a tool to cut down enemies. Nothing more, nothing less.

    "No." Mizu barely recognized her own voice. "You can't tell them."

    "I have to agree with Mizu on that, Konnosuke," Sada agreed almost immediately. "Not until we know, and understand more about this."

    Mizu narrows her eyes at the Saniwa. Their gaze remained neutral. However, their brown eyes were steeled and serious. Nothing remained of their usual clever demeanor.

    "I need to finish writing up reports for the government. After that, I'm taking the first unit to the regiment battle. I'm also switching out Ookurikara from the first unit."

    "What? Why?" Mizu presses, eyes wide.

    "He's going to be acclimating a new sword." Sada starts to clean up the mess of paper on their desk.

    "Really?" Mizu's eyes were bright with stars at the information. "Can I help him?"

    The former uchigatana of Date Masamune returned to the forge. The Smith was still at work, with a gleaming orange blade almost finished. Ookurikara guessed that time seemed to go by quickly in this specific region of the citadel. He brushed off the incomprehensible thoughts about the magic that the saniwas used to manipulate time, instead focusing on the sparks that flew as the smith hammered into scorching steel. Clang. He recalled the moment his spirit was called from the sword in the museum back in the real world. A bolt of lightning and a warm, clever essence luring him into the blade that sat dormant in his room. How the essence soon extracted his spirit into his current body.

    A hand touched his shoulder and he instantly recoiled, glaring at the perpetrator. The smith watches him, presenting the now finished blade to Ookurikara with a low bow. Ookurikara's eyes scrutinize the blade.

    The wakizashi itself gleamed, seeming to glow orange as it cooled. A notare-midare hamon crept up the edge, with the horimono of a sword etched into the lower half of the sword. Ookurikara was all too familiar with this style of blade. Damn it, aruji!

    Ookurikara gives a stiff shallow bow to the sword smith. The tsukumogami clutches the new sword, leaving the forge in total silence. Saniwa-sama is definitely going to force him to acclimate this new blade. His eyes narrowed at the mei (inscription) on the nakago. 広光.

    Kashuu brushes the ruby hue across his lips, eyelashes fluttering. He observes himself in the mirror. His face was flawless: the ideal, cute appearance.