Luck By Chance

The day began with the usual hustle of city life. I raised my hand, signaling for a taxi, and within moments, a brand new, pristine yellow Camry pulled up beside me.

As I fastened my seatbelt, a rush of cool, fresh air greeted me, offering a brief respite from the bustling streets. "Take me to Al Nahda," I requested as we navigated through traffic-clogged roads.

"How was your day, Junaid?" I asked, trying to spark a conversation. Despite my attempt at a friendly smile, I could see exhaustion etched on his face. His once lively eyes now reflected weariness.

Intrigued by people's stories, I prodded gently, and soon, Junaid shared his journey. His eyes lit up as he recounted his life—losing his father at fifteen, struggling to support his family with meager means, and ultimately moving to Dubai to provide for his sisters.

Listening to his tale, I felt a pang of gratitude for the blessings in my own life, particularly the unwavering support of my parents.

"How much do you earn?" I inquired, aiming to understand his daily struggles.

"Not much, around four thousand five hundred dirhams," Junaid replied wearily. He elaborated on the challenges of covering expenses while dealing with fines and the mental strain of driving for long hours.

As the radio played my favorite track, I found solace in its lyrics, momentarily lost in thought. The RJ's chatter about raffle coupons jolted me back. Recalling the persuasive Zoom shop attendant, I had purchased two coupons despite financial constraints.

"If we had no hope, we'd have no reason to go on," I pondered, contemplating the essence of hope itself.

Reaching my destination, I handed a coupon to Junaid, despite his reluctance. I settled the taxi fare and bid him farewell, sensing a hint of melancholy in his demeanor.

Walking back home, I silently hoped for his fortune to change. Though a stranger, I couldn't resist wishing him well.

Later, after a power nap, I woke to the sounds of nature outside. Glancing at my phone, I noticed a barrage of messages awaiting my attention. The FM channel played in the background, announcing the raffle winner.

Amidst frustration at my luck, the repeated number caught my attention. Astonishment washed over me as I realized I had won the grand prize—the hundred thousand dirhams coupon!

But then, I remembered. I had discreetly written Junaid's coupon number on mine before giving it to him.

My heart raced as I anticipated his call. Instead, an unknown number appeared on my phone. "Hello?" I answered.

"Hi Rehaan, this is Moeez. We've selected you as our Category Manager. Hope to see you soon!" the voice exclaimed before hanging up.

The joy of winning the lottery paled in comparison to the unexpected job offer from a prestigious company.

Sipping my coffee, a Shahrukh Khan movie dialogue echoed in my mind, "Kismat Badi Kutti Cheez Hai; Saali Kabhi Bhi Palat Jaati Hai." Destiny truly had a way of turning the tides.