Prologue

Author's note: so I've decided to start a new story, which is going to be a mix of mystery and romance, and probably more of a longer story. I really hope you read, enjoy, and hopefully comment and vote if you like it! Please tell me what you think if you can, I would appreciate it a ton :)

*** 

Taking a sip from her third cup of black coffee for the day, Regina Iverson realized this day was going to hell. She had been at the office since eight-thirty in the morning, taking her lunch break at her desk to prepare briefs for the pre-trial hearing on the Levesky case tomorrow, and now only had two hours to go over the break and enter that was due on the trial docket in less than twenty-four hours. She closed her eyes and massaged her temples, attempting to quell the blistering headache she had from both spending the last seven hours reading paperwork in her cramped office and the fact that her only sustenance was the hard candy she was periodically popping into her mouth.

The wooden door to her office opened suddenly with a loud creak, startling Regina and causing a few drops of coffee to drop onto her legal pad. She sighed in frustration and stood up, ripping off the blank page and crumpling it up before throwing it into the trashcan. Smoothing out her stiff, knee-length black pencil skirt, she sat back down and smiled at the man who walked in.

“Afternoon, Harry. What can I do for you?”

“What, I can’t just come in to visit my favourite associate?” The man had a deep, melodic baritone that seemed to soothe one’s nerves with even a few words. In a way, it complimented his appearance very well – Harry Foster was a tall man in his forties, with light brown hair and a chiselled jaw. Regina had an inkling of suspicion that the current suit he was wearing may have cost slightly more than her monthly salary.

“I’m sure senior partners have better things to do than chit-chat with us mere mortals.” Regina chuckled, the action only adding to the pain in her head. “Unless you’re meaning to tell me that Foster and Williams is completely out of business?”

“Au contraire, ma cherie,” Harry smiled broadly, taking a seat in the chair on the other side of the desk. His French was impeccable, Regina mused. His pronunciation was easily comparable to, if not better, than the one she acquired after spending a semester of law school studying in Paris. “Some of the clients we’re getting recently are going to be able to keep us afloat for years to come even if everyone else drops us like we’re hot. That’s what I came to talk to you about today, actually.”

After the pause extended to several seconds, Regina raised her impeccably shaped eyebrows. “Pardon me?”

“You’re a very bright woman, Regina.” Harry started as he comfortably rested his arm on top of the sheaf of files on her desk. “Intelligent, witty, charming, ambitious…Everything we are looking for in a partner.”

At his praise, Regina raised her head subtly, smiling as she made direct eye contact with the man, her brown eyes widening as she took in the implication behind his words. “Thank you, Sir.”

“You’ve been working with Foster and Williams for four years now, and with every case you have done, you’ve shown exceptional dedication and talent. As you know, every year, Olivia Williams and I choose one new junior partner to join our ranks at the big table. This year, I believe that, despite your youth, you have shown the ambition and commitment necessary to earn yourself that position…” The man paused, taking a look around him. “And a larger office.”

At those words, Regina’s headache seemed to ebb and disappear as she fought to keep a grin off her face. She looked at the man who had been her mentor at the firm since her first day as an articling student, and smiled in gratitude. “I would be honoured, Sir.”

“Unfortunately, there is a bit of a caveat, which brings me back to the issue of new clients that I have mentioned earlier. Traditionally, Olivia and I have agreed on the associate that would receive the title over the years, but this time, there are two very bright candidates, and it would not be fair to choose one arbitrarily.” Regina frowned slightly, knowing that Olivia Williams has never taken a particular liking to her and instead favoured male associates despite being a woman in a heavily male-dominated practice. “I am quite sure you are very well acquainted with Adam Dubois.”

“And you would be correct.” Regina replied with a charming smile that served exceptionally to hide her true feelings toward the man. Arrogant and self-assured, the man exploited his natural charisma and good looks to win numerous cases without much preparation. In his spare time, he seemed to make it his mission to bed every attractive woman in his vicinity, which meant having to rebuff his persistent advances on a regular basis. However, despite her rather negative opinion of the man himself, Regina had to admit that he was, without doubt, the most capable associate currently working at the firm, and an uncontested favourite of Olivia’s.

“After having a talk, Olivia and I have decided to put you into a little competition. Our firm has recently been asked to represent two very wealthy clients on major criminal counts. Since we believe that both of you are very capable councillors, we will entrust these matters in your hands. These cases are quite difficult, as the evidence against our clients is quite strong in both circumstances. I will also have to warn you that your work may be under a lot of public scrutiny, as the client we have selected for you is a very respected member of the public community. It will be a difficult job, Regina.”

Harry’s last words flew out of her ears as she became overwhelmed with an almost giddy happiness. This was the big break she had been hoping for during the last four years: a chance to move up in the firm, to make a name for herself…To prove once and for all that she was an intelligent, capable associate that would get the promotion before a chauvinistic prick.

“I am looking forward to it, Harry.” She smiled, drumming her French-manicured fingers on a desk. “I enjoy a challenge.”

“Good to hear.” He chuckled at her eagerness. “Now just impress me, and, more importantly, Olivia, and the spot is yours.”

Harry Foster stood up, adjourning the meeting as he reached down to pick up his leather briefcase. He pulled out a thick file in a padfolio and placed it on Regina's desk on top of the rest of her paperwork. As he said his goodbyes and closed the door to her office, she looked down at the file, noticing a sticker on top in big, bold letters: “Damon Steinberg – 1st degree murder.”