Chapter 1: Those rainy days.

Chapter 1

I jumped over the toppled trash can, sidestepped an elderly woman with a large umbrella and shot through another back alley. When I slipped on the pavement for about the third time since the chase had begun, I cursed under my breath, righted myself quickly, and continued on my way.

Up ahead, the perp continued to expertly navigate his way through the drenched streets, darting through alleyways, knocking down unwary pedestrians, and overall doing a whole lot better at staying on his feet than I was.

Not far away, I could hear the blaring of a car horn, which seemed to be the origin of a domino effect, when car horn, after car horn rented the air. No one should be out in this weather. I cursed again when I almost slipped, and it was when I turned down another side road that I made a split-second decision to use as a shortcut.

The day had started out shitty and it was going to end the same way. I was drenched right through to my underwear, and with every step, I felt the wet fabric rubbing against my sensitive flesh. The sloshing of dirty street water in my shoes was just as distracting, but it was all these things that gave me the drive I needed to continue. I was out in this crappy weather because of the asshole and I’d catch him if it was the last fucking thing I did.

I skated across the slick street and ran as fast as my tired feet could take me. With each step I felt the squishing between my toes and I tried to keep on the balls of my feet as I ran, hoping the strategy would propel me further and prevent me from falling yet again.

When he darted across the empty road, I followed him, and when he turned down yet another darkened alley I never lost sight of him. The tail of his shirt billowed behind him, the drenched material flapping in the wind. Still, he kept running, never seeming to tire and always in the lead.

The wind tore through the streets, allowing the loose trash to circulate and the rain seemed to pour harder with every passing minute as the heavy droplets tried to beat me into submission. But I was never one to give in. Not now, not when I had him just within my grasp.

I ran past another pedestrian who was holding a flimsy little umbrella and jumped over an empty cardboard box. I could hardly keep my lids open in the downpour and more than once I raised a hand to clear my eyes, which only succeeded in slowing my footfalls.

The fucker was fast, I’d give him that. Unless he slipped, or grew tired, the chances of me catching him were slim, which was why I made another split-second decision to take another route. If I was lucky, he would turn left at the next corner, and by taking this route I could grab him as soon as he took the bend. If not, then he would have won and this would have all been for nothing.

So I ran.  It bothered me that I could no longer see him in front of me, but that did nothing to weaken my determination. I would not lose. Not today and not to him.

I took in nothing around me, observed not a single detail as I blazed past the buildings. Instead, I kept my head straight, my eyes focused on what was before me and as luck would have it, the perp had in fact turned left at the bend. I spotted him before he spotted me, and a moment later I slammed into his side, taking him to the ground with me.

He fought only for a moment, then he lay flat on his back—panting as his eyes held mine. The second I moved to take out my handcuffs was the precise moment the timer on my bureau-issued watch went off and I felt it vibrating on my arm. I cursed under my breath and Simon chuckled from where he lay under me as his went off as well.

Just five seconds later and I would have been the victor.

I rolled off him and grunted when I hit the asphalt. I allowed the back of my head to rest on the ground as I lay there and the rain beat down on me, forcing me to close my eyes against the torrent. What a day. When Simon kicked the side of my thigh I brought my arm up to shield my eyes and looked up at him. He was standing now, his head bent against the rain’s assault as he looked down at me.