Chapter 51: Wrong Place, Wrong Time

"There," Layla announces, dusting her hands together. "Nobody should find her and she shouldn't wake up for a while. At least not while we're still here, anyway."

Layla and Nina had disposed of Eudora's unconscious form deep into the trees, laying her behind a thick tree trunk root, after lugging her along for what seemed like years.

Even though she is a tree nymph, she smells too much like dirt for Layla's liking.

Nina sighs, staring down at Eudora." She looks so... Peaceful."

Layla raises an eyebrow." She does, doesn't she?"

Then she rolls her eyes at the nymph and walks back the way she came, with Nina on her tail.

"Layla? How exactly are we going to find the others?"

Layla shrugs. "We just look around carefully and see who we find first- Umah or them."

Nina nods and is about to hurry on after Layla, when she stops suddenly, snapping a twig.

Layla freezes then turns. "Nina? What's wrong?"

Nina does not reply. She just stays completely still, listening. Her eyes widen in alarm and before Layla can blink, she has Changed, and in her place is a wolf with light gray fur and big eyes with purple irises.

Nina begins to growl, moving her head in a gesture that orders Layla to get behind her.

Layla obeys, drawing her dagger, then immediately wishing she had her Blade.

"Show yourself!" Layla snaps into empty space, as the wind builds up around wolf and Wielder, rustling through the trees.

Nina barks in agreement.

Then there is a girl stepping out in front of them. A nymph, to be exact.

Layla raises her dagger and imitates Nina as they both cautiously take a step forward, a growl deep in Nina's throat.

The nymph raises her hands in surrender, using one of them to keep pushing up her flower crown. She doesn't even seem surprised to see them.

"Who are you?" Layla hisses.

The nymph smiles. "I am a friend, not a foe." She takes a step forward so she is face to face with them, and raises a hand in greeting. "My name is Rose. I'm here to help you."

Layla and Nina exchange glances.

Nina sniffs, raising her shaggy head.

Layla's weapon arm does not falter as she asks, "Why should we believe you? This could be a trap."

Rose blushes. "Funnily enough, that silver-haired mage you know said the same thing. It was that nice girl Rak that chose to believe me. Has anyone told you that you look like her?" Rose babbles.

Nina Changes back at the first mention of Jens, her fur being stripped away from her like a bandage pulled off skin, rippling back to normal flesh.

She instantly ducks behind Layla to cover her bare top-half.

Layla lowers her dagger." You met my uncle and Rak?"

"Good heavens, he's your uncle?" Rose asks, looking surprised. "Does that mean that, um, Rak is your auntie?"

Layla narrows her eyes. "No... Rak is my uncle's best friend. Why?"

"No reason," Rose says, blushing.

She says it too quickly.

Layla imagines just how much teasing Rak must be getting at this moment in time off her uncle.