Chapter 17

- FAYE’S POV

The day after Keyon’s birthday. The day after Chris said he wants us to be together again. And here I am, waking up all by myself to a lonely house. Again.

I suppose he has time yet to call me. But his words yesterday seemed too good to be true - and when words are like that, they usually are just that.

I don’t know whether yesterday was the start of a new chapter in my life or not. I feel like I am still hovering over a line of old and new and that the old side has a gravitational pull on me despite something new trying to bring me to the new side. Like a tug of war almost.

I get up and get some breakfast. I am about to cut some fruit up for myself, as that takes up the most amount of time - therefore giving Chris more time to get in contact - but when I look in the fridge, I find that the chef has already done that for me.

I sit and eat my fruit, watching my phone like a vulture watching its prey.

Hurry the fuck up, Chris. I can’t wait over five years again.

When my spoon reaches the bottom of an empty bowl, and my phone hasn’t lit up once, I take matters into my own hands and type:

‘Chris, I just want to know where we stand now.’

I hit backspace and start again.

‘Chris, I’m just wondering what happens now with us & whether you honestly meant what you said yesterday. Neither of us can afford to have broken hearts again & that makes this a huge commitment. It’s not something you can ever give up on. If it happens, it’s got to be a serious relationship.’

Send.

My phone lights up about a minute later. My heart skips beats as I open his reply.

C: ‘I promise I will put my all into giving you what you deserve. You deserve true love and happiness and that’s what I want to see you obtain. I’m 110 percent serious. I love you so much.’

F: ‘I love you too. xxx’

C: ‘Can I come over? Want to give you something’

F: ‘Sure, come over whenever you’re ready.’

C: ‘I’ll be there in thirty mins.’

Oh lawd. I wonder what’s going to happen.

I go upstairs and get ready. I don’t have enough time again to get ready properly but I don’t care. I get to see Chris. That’s the most important thing. I would give everything I have to see him. To walk the same ground that he walks on. He’s the most beautiful human being I have ever been fortunate enough to breath the same air as. I’ve been thinking about him daily for so many years now. He’s everything to me. And now I’m so close to him being mine for good. After everything we’ve been through together, we’ll finally be reunited the way it should be and the way that it was meant to be.

Knock knock.

I quickly rush down the stairs before Renee has the chance to answer the door.

“Hey,” I say, slightly out of breath.

He looks at me strangely. “Hi. Your hair… is…”

Trust me to forget to check if my hair’s OK.

“I’m assuming I’m having a bad hair day? I haven’t looked to be honest.”

“Yeah, you are. But I don’t care. Just thought I would let you know.”

I’m surprisingly not even embarrassed. I just laugh and Chris laughs too as he extends his hand. He touches my hair and rearranges it so that my hair acts according to my parting.