First Impression

I walked down the road to school, its the first day of the new year. Its a little overcast and windy and staring at the dark, brick, two story building, I was nervous out of my mind. I have to admit I nearly peed myself. I was starting 1st grade and my family had just moved to into a new town, I think it was Parsav. Either way I didn't know anybody and of course I was just a munchkin so my mind was racing with what wonders I would see when I went through the doors, and with all of what could go wrong once I was in. My mind bickered back and forth between which possibility it would be. And thats when I first heard him, or at least I think anyway.

"Don't worry about it, you had lots of friends at the old school, you can make lotsa friends here too," he said.

"... but what if none of them like me, or if they think I look funny, or..."

"Hey! Don't think that way, you gotta pull yourself together or you won't meet anyone."

"But what if they don't like my toy cars or tinker toys?"

"There has to be someone who like those toys. Those are the best ones!"

"Ya, you're right"

"Of course we are!"

It was an interesting experience, the first time I'd ever talked to myself. And with that conversation I entered my classroom. I can't remember my teachers name, or much of what exactly we learned, I just remember that I felt a mix, like most of me had butterflies in my stomach, but the other part was filled with confidence. I paced in to see the other kids playing with differant toys and talking to each other before class and I seemed to think to myself "Ha, kids." Looking around the room I saw a kid who was sitting by himself, and he looked like he was just playing with his pencil. And again this split feeling came over me, except it was like the butterfly feeling and confident side had switched places. My front thought was "He looks like he'd do anything for a friend, bet he'd be easy to get toys from" and the back thought was "I bet we'd be great friends." Either way both of us agreed that we'd go and talk to him. And that was how I met Jacob, he's been my best friend (and greatest pawn) since then.

Of course, that was just the first time that we talked to each other. Not me and Jacob, but, well... me and... "Ethan". Its something I can't explain well at all, but we've had many conversations throughout our life, and just as many arguements, but somehow we always helped each other in some way. He was just always there for me when I was alone. He calmed me when I was nervous and gave me ideas when I was stressed. To sum it up, in the beginning, although I felt mixed emotions about many things because of him, he was very supportive. We may be differant and have seperate emotions and motives, but our goals always seemed the same. Plus that I could tell him anything, and he would keep my secrets. There is that saying that the best way to keep a secret is to keep it to yourself, so I did, by telling it to myself. My other self. I could honestly tell you that in this way, I was my own best friend and confident.