Chapter 10

I left Mom and slogged to my own bedroom. Night had approached quicker than I had anticipated, leaving a soft, sleepy feeling that fell like a blanket on the entire town. Stars twinkled outside my bedroom window, smiling down on me. And high above, the moon glowed and illuminated the silvery world below. Instead of being a comfort and a constant to me as it usually was, it unnerved me. The night was her domain, and I had no desire to cross it.

Feeling like a child afraid of the dark, I scampered over to my bed and turned on my bedside lamp. A warm glow sent the shadows chasing out the window. A moment of relief washed over me. Zach and Ryan had clunked inside and lumbered off to bed, not bothering to say goodnight as they usually did. I could still sense their anger and maybe a twinge of regret.

I listened to their loud snores through the thin walls and basked in the moment of peace. I could let out my breath and unwind, finally settle into myself instead of being on display.

I didn't bother undressing, not wanting to leave the warm cocoon that was my blankets and pillows. I took a small comfort from my own scent that permeated my duvet, wrapping myself in familiarity. Despite the pounding of my heart, I did try my best to fall asleep.

A sharp tapping sound jerked me from my sleepy stupor. I wrenched off the blankets and sat straight up, fear tearing its way through me.

A shadowy figure moved outside my balcony doors. A cold chill ran down my spine. I slammed open my nightstand drawer, fighting a wave of undulating horror. I couldn't bring myself to dig through my closet to find my pocketknife because my legs were frozen. My fingers searched desperately for something sharp, anything of use. Maybe Artemis had decided to take justice into her own hands instead of letting fate work its course.

My hand closed around an envelope opener, my only method of defense. It would be utterly useless next to Artemis's mammoth sized silver bow.

Terror's cold fingers closed around my throat as the shadowy figure hovered just outside my doors. I briefly wondered what damage my fists could do, and if they could even bruise her flawless marble skin. Perhaps gods were impenetrable, completely invincible. It wouldn't surprise me. Nothing surprised me anymore.

"Is it you?" I whispered, striving to keep my voice steady. Artemis would like that; she had no respect for cowardly, sniveling fools, even fools damned to a punishment at her own hands. If I had to die, I was going to die with at least an iota of grace.

"Alexis, it's me," said a familiar voice. A head of curly, brown hair peeked around the door as it creaked open.

Relief instantly flooded me as I dropped the envelope opener and let out a cry of relief.

"Joel!" I hissed through my tears. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see if you were okay," he said grinning. He shrugged one shoulder. "And Jamie said that we should meet in an hour."

"You scared me half to death!" I nearly screamed, punching my pillows. My muscles loosened to jelly and I slumped over, trying to suppress the feeling of rage and terror that was knotted inside of me. These days, I could hardly remember what it felt like not to be constantly afraid. Afraid that if I let my guard down one second, I would find an arrow in my back.

"Oh my God," I breathed, trying to calm down.

"Sorry," he replied sheepishly. "I tried the front door, but it was locked. I thought this was Zach's room. I should have known it was yours."

"You could have called me like a normal person," I grumbled a little. He offered me a sheepish smile.

I knew that I should be furious to be woken up so abruptly, but the fear eventually faded and the realization that Joel Callister was standing in my bedroom at ten o' clock at night started to dawn on me. If my brothers found out, they would kill me. But not before they murdered Joel where he stood.