Chapter 9

Please Note: This book has not yet been fully edited. I hope that any typos, awkward phrasing, or holes in research that might remain don't dampen your enjoyment of the story.

---

Even though he was on his knees, panting to catch his breath, Dean couldn't help but marvel at the softness of the grass beneath him. It felt as it had all of the times before when he had been here practicing with Artemis. The greenery all around him made him wonder if maybe he had just fallen asleep here during one of their afternoon sessions and was only now waking up. But the sun continued to hang in the sky and a breeze continued to shuffle the leaves, giving the appearance of there being large leafy creatures on either side of him, inhaling and exhaling along with him. He pinched himself after another thirsty breath but nothing happened.

At last feeling as if he could trust his legs again, Dean stood and wandered over to the end of the path at the cliff's edge. Looking down over Selene he could see the turbine on the old Magucket lot and the ring of wasteland around it. The mesh on top spun, and as he squinted Dean could make out what he imagined were a few workers milling around the base. He harboured no illusions, of course. Flynn would be after him, even if he had to go it alone. Perhaps especially if he could do it alone. Dean shuddered. Not only had the man wanted him executed in the first place, but Dean was once again guilty of killing a guild member. At least Dean thought he was guilty of such a crime. It wasn't entirely clear what had happened to Mikkel. Dean's memory of the incident with Orin was still as foggy as the blur of action that caused him to bolt from the turbine just hours ago. And yet he was sure the spell he had almost readied before that force pressed him down and his world went dim outside of Hemmark just finished now. Apparently it wasn't unheard of for magic to do that if it was beyond the ability of the caster...

The undergrowth to Dean's right rustled. Dean reached for the wrench on his belt. He rose it over his head as the rustling became visible. The boy crept to the side of where the motion was most violent and took a deep breath. He steeled himself when he saw the point of a blade emerge first. But what ultimately emerged had Dean swing his hand back to his side where the wrench found its home.

"Artemis!"

The sprite turned its large eyes to him and tilted its head. "Dean?"

"Yes! Oh, Artemis! This is perfect!"

From her expression it was clear that the sprite was more confused than enthused by the appearance of her old acquaintance.

Dean tried to calm himself before speaking again. "I really need your help – the turbine. It needs to be stopped like last time."

"Like last time?" She slipped her dagger into a loop at her waist.

"Yes. I see why it must be done now – at any cost."

Artemis' expression brightened. "At any cost, eh?" She crossed her arms but grinned. "I'm glad that you understand and agree."

"Yes! I do now – thought it would been appreciated it you'd given me a little more warning about what would happen to me."

The sprite shrugged as her arms fell back to her sides. Dean relished the subtle movement of her bare shoulders and the slight curve of her smile afterwards. "Huh. I had though you would be furious if we ever met again."

Dean stared at the being before him. Clothed in leaves and hair the colour of pine bark in tresses somehow wound about with twigs he wasn't quite sure why he wasn't furious with the sprite. She had cost him a life out here in Selene. Not to mention his chance to join the Venturers. But – he looekd at tnhe strip of sky between the trees and then to his hand – if it hadn't been for her he would never have learned about spells and city magic or met Frances Yates or befriended Eloise.