Chika,

            I wish you were my friend instead of Itachi’s. I think you’re really pretty.

            © Sasuke

            I looked at the note Sasuke had given me all those years ago. The page was crinkly from being in such a small space the whole time. He and Itachi used to be so nice back then.

            “You still have that thing?”

            I jumped as Sasuke leapt down from the tree I was under. “Yeah,” I said, folding it back up before it went back into is place.

            “Hn. Well, you shouldn’t.”

            “And why not?”

            “Because you favored that murderer so much. I was stupid in meaning what I said.”

            I gripped my locket hard, feeling hurt for him saying such a thing. Like I knew. “I didn’t know he was a monster, Sasuke! I didn’t know that any more than you did!”

            He looked at me coldly. The gaze burrowed into my soul. I felt like he was judging me really hardcore. “Hm.” He paused. “I believe you. I should’ve let that thing burn, though. I don’t know why I saved it and let Kakashi find it.” He grunted and walked away.

            I just dropped. Sasuke saved it?

******

            Kakashi looked at me when I came in from training. “Did the extra training help out?”

            I plopped down beside him. “Not really.”

            “Why not?”

            “I didn’t do any actual training at all.”

            “What did you do, then?”

            I sighed. “I sat under a tree reflected. It did more harm than help.” I didn’t say more, though. I didn’t want to dump all my problems on him. That would’ve felt wrong to me.

            “Are you sure it was more harm than help? You know, not all training has to be physical. Reflection helps in some cases. I’ve done it myself.” He smiled briefly as he looked over at me. “The peace is important to your focus and helps keep everything in check.”

            I nodded quickly.

            He gently patted my leg. “I’m surprised that you would think reflection was unhelpful, Chika. If you don’t mind me asking, what was the reflection about?”

            I really wished he hadn’t asked about all that. “Just some stuff from my past. It was really stupid and childish.” I held my locket kind of sadly, feeling embarrassed by it all to be honest. I didn’t want to talk about it. I shouldn’t care what people think of me, but I do. I care a lot.

            He nodded. “Well, I was making some dinner. I wasn’t really sure what you liked, so I made ramen, if that’s alright.”

            I nodded, glad he changed the subject. “Yeah, ramen’s fine.” I smiled at him.

            He walked with me to the kitchen and got the bowls, getting us both some ramen. I sat across from him as the two of us ate in silence for the most part. We would glance at each other every so often, but I don’t think either of us really thought anything of it. His mask was really bothering me though. He hadn’t pulled it down to eat so far as I could tell, but then again, he kept the bowl close to his face for the most part. It made me extremely curious, but I was sure everyone else was just as curious.

            He stopped momentarily, and the mask was still in place, dry and clean as it was before. “Chika, what kind of missions have you been on lately? I hear some of them have gone as high as A rank.”

            “Only one of them was an A rank.” I felt embarrassed and tried not to blush. “The last mission I went on was a very basic bounty hunt. I can’t remember what the guy’s name was, but he wasn’t that big of a baddie compared to some. Most of the missions I’ve been on are actual Chunin level missions.”

            Kakashi nodded. “Most your age aren’t at that level, but most your rank don’t even take on missions themselves. It’s safer in a team.”

            “I know that. I just haven’t been that good with other people since I was kind of small, you know? The Hokage figured it’d be better to keep me out of a team so that I would work at my best.”

            He cocked his head to the side. “Do you still think being in a team will keep you from being at your best?”

            I shrugged. “I don’t know, maybe.”

            That maybe was because of Sasuke.