Our Final Ride.

I've been working on this story for a long time. Im not very far into it yet, but I thought some of you would enjoy it. It's definately one of my favorites.

The idea for this story comes from the Riders of the Apocalypse series by Jackie Morse Kessler. So if you enjoy learning about the Horsemen, please read her books "Rage", "Hunger" and "Loss."

Please enjoy, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this story.

~

I tip the arrow up, aiming for the blood red victory in the middle of my target.

"Do you have any idea how ashamed I am of you?"

I straightened my spine, narrowed my eyes in focus and pulled the bowstring back until it grazed my cheek.

"… And you blame poor Will. He would never do something like this. I can't believe you actually are willing to go through such lengths to get attention."

I closed my eyes. I took a deep breath, and sent the arrow flying.

"You little slut"

"You're going to boarding school."

"I never want to see your face again."

I fell to my knees under the weight of a memory that long ago changed my whole life.

My hands shook as I dropped my bow. I opened my eyes.

Bulls eye.

~

I took deep breaths as my therapist had always told me to.

"A deep breath can cleanse your mind and ease pressure. It’ll get rid of the bad memories." Like I’ve said to her a thousand times before: if only it were that easy. I swept my long black hair over my shoulder and counted my arrows. 12. I picked up my sheath and heaved it carelessly over my shoulder, slinging my bow across my chest. I dusted off my knees and took slow steps out of the training arena.

I slipped my snowcap on, "Great job today, Addie." The perky blonde instructor, Darcy, gave me a smile.

I nodded in her direction and took longer strides in the direction of the door. She jogged to catch up, "Addie, listen. I know you have a problem with shooting in front of people, but if you would only compete you could make so much of ..." I locked my eyes on the front of the room, tuning out her obnoxiously optimistic voice.

She panted with the effort of trying to keep in time with my legs. Well at least three years of track pay off somehow. "Listen, I've told you before. I only do this because my parents forced me to. I'm not giving them the satisfaction of seeing me win for them. I'll win for myself alone."

Well actually, that's not true. Archery is the only thing that I have that keeps me sane.

I love the feeling of the bow in my hands and the control of an arrow darting through the air like a bullet.

But for me, guns are just too simple.

I reached the door. She blocked it with her small frame, "Addie, please. I’m only trying to help make the right decision. You’re so good at archery, and there’s a competition coming up in January. Think it over," She held the door open for me, freezing air making goose bumps rise on her pale skin "Okay?"

I nod, "Don’t hold your breath." I mutter and stride away before I could hear the door close.

In my car, with the heater on full blast and the doors locked, I gripped the wheel firmly and made my way to Chandler High, the boarding school that is the only place I have to call home. I pulled into the parking lot that leads to the front of the contemporary building. Snow cradled the earth and made summer seem a decade away.

I enjoy snow though, it is so beautifully simple. Few things of this world are anymore.

The cream structure was inviting, large windows and open doors. Monumental weeping willows surrounded it, and seemed to overflow with power. My mother used to say that willows weep for souls lost to the underworld, which is why their fingers brush the ground in grief for the fallen.

I parked and carried my quivers and books in my arms. I entered the humongous lobby that led to the left side of the campus, which is where the girl’s dorms are. A crowd trickled in as the day went on, teachers and offices alike bustling hurriedly to their cars, eager to escape to the warmth of their homes. A man accidentally bumped me. I dropped my bow and I turn to see him walking away, cell phone to his ear. I muttered an oath and struggled to bend over to reach my fallen weapon.

I jumped when a pale hand reached down and grasped it first. A strong arm steadied me as I straightened, and I yanked away from the stranger’s touch. My eyes met his and winter froze me to where I stood.

Those eyes… Those grey and black eyes…They are so cold and empty. They stripped my soul naked and bared it to the world. They buried themselves into my heart and permeated the veins with frost. I immediately looked away and said a quick, "Thanks." I took my bow.

He stepped in front of me, "Let me help you with your things." a soft and intelligent voice.

His blondish white hair hangs slightly in his face. I took in his frame. He’s tall, and seemed to be strong. But whatever it was with this boy, I didn’t like it. Whether it’s his eyes or his aura,

I don’t know. But I do know I shouldn’t care.

Have we had classes together before? I can't seem to remember ever taking notice of him... I frowned at his apathetic gaze and turned away, "No. Thanks though." I stepped quickly in the other direction. He chuckled cruelly and said, "Well my name is Quinn. I’ll see you later."

The last part sounded like a promise.

I called sarcastically, "Addie. Pleasure is all mine; goodbye."

I almost sprinted to my room.

~

The pale rider watched the encounter nonchalantly from around the corner. He strummed his guitar, a savory melody, the beat provocative and sensual.

His steed stood watching over his shoulder, bored and impatient to get started.

Death grinned, "Ah, she has but only two days, my beast. Then things will get interesting. You should probably make your last few living days worth your while, Adelaide. That boy is your future, and he also shall decide your fate."

The pale steed snorted.

Death sighed, "Such sweet virtue will be tarnished, but she won’t have trouble adjusting at all. Thou art a rider of the Apocalypse: your lips hold the forbidden fruit of mortals, young beauty."

Death mounted his steed and disappeared into the snow.

~~