Evelyn

"Evelyn Grey." Dean Richards guff voice made my name sound like a curse rolling off his tongue. I rose, unsteady on the black heels my sister insisted I wore. Stripper shoes more like it. I walked onto the stage to accept the paper I've worked to hard for over the last 7 years after high school. I wasn't even sure if I actually wanted to be a lawyer, but it's simply what us Greys did. Dad drilled it into our heads since our first steps. Meghan though? She she rebelled. She, was a doctor. I giggled a little at that. Most parents would have been thrilled to have a doctor as a daughter. But not for Walter Grey. Don't get me wrong, dad loved us unconditionally and has never came out and told her how disappointed he was that she didn't keep up the family name of lawyers, the look on his face that day made it clear. Which in a way sealed my fate. Any hope of being a publisher of novels went out the window.

"Congratulations." The Dean murmured to me as I took the paper from his clammy hands. Not bothering to stop for a picture I hurried off the stage to take my seat next. To soon the ceremony was over and it was time to leave the place I used as my getaway from home. Saying goodbye didn't take long, we all had our own lives to go about or at least I did.  I walked into the university parking lot taking off the gown as I walked to my basic Honda Civic that sat in the lot. I sucked my lip into my mouth as I drove up the long driveway to the over sized house my father bought when he won his first big case for Mom. I parked next to Dads Bentley and made my way into the house ignoring the big black motorbike parked in the middle of the walk-way. I opened the door and instantly the chatter stopped. I turn into the living room where my parents sat with Nelson Black. My dads childhood friend and not to mention the president of the outlaw motorbike gang in town. Or club as he claims to the police. My mothers warm smile was the first to greet me.

"My dear girl, how was graduation?" She took my hands, still in her work scrubs. This is where Meghan got her need to heal people. My mother was a nurse, still working full time even after years of Dad telling her that she didn't need too. That he made enough for her to retire.

"It was good." I smiled looking over to the giant outlaw sitting on my fathers favourite chair sipping on a coffee my mother no doubt made for him. But this wasn't anything new to me. He was around my whole life, his presents was just as normal as the goldfish swimming laps in the round glass bowl we've had for the last 5 years. "Hello, Mr. Black. How are you today?" I walk over to him, my feet crying to be relieved from the death traps holding  them prisoner , to shake his hand. Like I do every time he stops over.

"How many times do I need to tell you to drop them formalities. We're past that don't you think?" His smile was charming. Always was. That's probably how he got so much of what he wanted.

"Yes sir we probably are but we both know I was raised to respect my-" I stopped eyes wide. I was about to call this man an elder. And I know my father has defended him in court for killing a man for less. The first one to break the silence is my father with a start of a chuckle. My eyes locked onto Nelsons face. Waiting to see if it will be me that he kills next. But his lips slowly turn upward into a breath taking smile. You know if I had daddy issues. " I am so sorry Nelson. I didnt mean to-" He lifts his hand stopping me from rambling on foolishly. How the hell did I graduate law school? 

"Girl, I am your elder." He chuckles. "I am sorry though that I kept your father from attending you're graduation. I just had a very important matter of one of my men getting out today and I needed some." He stopped looking for the right words. "Advice, on his homecoming." I nodded like I knew what he was talking about. But even when I interned for my father in school I never knew anything about his affairs with the club he kept it locked in the safe. I smiled and excused myself to go take off the tight dress and  the murdering shoes.  I lay back on my bed completely naked, willing myself to get dressed when a text came through my phone