Chapter 10- Important Things

Woah. Just Woah. She actually knew his father, and Aidan was shocked. Completely and utterly shocked. He probably should have expected it to some degree, since he went and asked her, but he didn't seriously expect her to have enough involvement with her mother to know his dad- that was pretty scary, but still helpful to his cause.

"How much do you know?" Do you know something about your mom? What she does? Aidan felt like bombarding her with questions, but he figured he should start slow, for both their sakes.

"Actually, with you looking so serious, I don't know how to say this. I don't actually know Gregory Frosz... That's your dad, right? The thing is, I overheard his name from a phone call." Rosette looked flustered, as if caught in trouble without any explanation. Put simply, she looked guilty. Which confused him a lot.

"I'll start explaining, if you want to hear. I'm assuming you came here to ask me about your dad." Aidan nodded.

"I heard your dad's name come across a phone call that my mother had. Well, first of all, in my house, for various reasons relevant to my mother's high privacy job, she set some rules. One of these rules was, 'Never eavesdrop on her conversations or phone calls, and should you hear anything by accident, you're to forget it immediately'." She stopped talking to take a deep breath.

Continuing on, she described the circumstances of her accidental case of eavesdropping.

***

It was the night of the first day of school, after she'd hit it off with Aidan as friends. She'd heard some kids talking about some incident in the summer, about his father's death and whatnot, and sympathized with Aidan, having not had her own father with them for a while, too.

With such a newfound mindset and affinity for her first sophomore friend, she went home prepared to tackle a normal evening.

Instead, upon entering the house, she found out empty. Her normally-home-early mother was nowhere to be found and it stayed that way until about two hours later where her mother rushed into the house and locked herself into her study.

Meaning to ask if anything was wrong, she stood outside the door and accidently heard this:

"Is this Si? ... Yes, I met his children today, they were quite an amusing surprise; the boy, Aidan, had his face and the girl, Emma, his headstrong ways and stubbornness. ... I believe we can use them against him, Their ties are strong. ... How is Gregory on your end?"

About there, she'd backed away from the door and left, because her mother had obviously been talking about some important, perhaps illegal, things.

***

At the end of that, Aidan was indeed thoroughly shocked. To the point where it took him a while to ask any questions. When his brain began functioning again, he was afraid that his first question had a bit of hurt in it; he'd asked her why she hadn't told him, or anyone, for that matter.

"My mother could have been involved in a kidnapping case! Would I want to save your dad? Yes, of course, but would I want to jail my mom? No. Plus, you met her, that afternoon, right?" He considered this, beginning to understand.

"Yeah- I get it," He started, then got to the point: "but I have to ask you something slightly off topic; would you- can you please- help me find my father?"

She looked a bit like he was feeling- shocked. The whole situation still felt a bit surreal to him; falling apart over your dead dad, finding out that he's still alive, then asking the cute new transfer student at school to assist him in finding to his dad. Oh wait, did he forget to mention that she was daughter to a lady whose job seemed to deal in numerous illegal acts like, maybe kidnapping and definitely breaking in to people's homes? Yeah, surreal was an underestimation of his life now, wasn't it?

---------

A/N: Hello again! This chapter should more or less get the story moving, right? And I'd like to say a big thanks to anyone who read to this point of the book, so keep it up, people!

Ps: I haven't gotten to editing the story in detail, so please point out any spelling or grammar issues that I miss, k? Thanks again!

-ocean3399