Chapter Twenty-five: Нежность - Nezhnost ~ Part One

~Chapter Twenty-five: Нежность – Nezhnost~

For a moment, my mind struggles to comprehend what the kiss on my forehead could mean. As soon as I realize the implications, though, I immediately look at Hors for his reaction. However, rather than a blank face or something that would definitely make me cringe, Hors just watches me back with an amused little quirk of his eyebrow, which either means this is some kind of prearranged idea or they both feel the same way.

What that 'way' is, though, I don't know.

From what I have seen, forehead kisses are meant to show affection and care for an individual. I might have brushed it off as patronizing or a gesture of a king to his subject, but then there was that comment. Maybe one day, he had said.

Considering what he said that in response to, there is not much room for misunderstanding.

Perhaps Perun had been joking, but Hors did not sigh in exasperation like he normally would when his lover makes a bad joke. And why kiss my forehead after saying something like that? Unless he actually wants me to misunderstand, either he had very bad timing or it was intentional.

Right?

My gaze drifts from Hors to Perun, and I find that the king god is watching me as well. Rather than regard me with amusement, though, Perun just looks inordinately smug. An irritable little part of me wants to kick him off the bed – even though I am not quite sure why he looks smug – on principle, but not only am I still too physical weak to do something like that, I am not sure I want to either. While I would not go so far as to say that I feel safe while in a bed with Perun and Hors, not with my next death looming on the horizon, it is definitely not the worst place I could have spent my last full day.

"Do you feel up to breakfast now, Veles?" Hors asks, and I look at him only a couple of seconds after Perun does. When I nod and shrug – which are very awkward movements with my head tilted backwards – Hors removes his hand from my hair and brushes his hand against my cheek before sliding off the bed. "I'll go bring us something to eat, then."

I glance at Perun, who remains on the bed with me, practically using me as a body pillow with how close he is hovering. "When can I return to my room?" I ask after a moment.

Perun shakes his head. "Until I can find someone to make sure it is safe, you are staying downstairs," he says, much to my chagrin. I could understand waking up here, as it was kind of a panic-inducing event for everyone involved, but it is not like the watch is actually harmful, especially not after being melted by a sun god.

Not that they would take my word for it, not with my magic sight still inactive.

And though I hate to admit it, their paranoia about the watch is getting to me a bit, making me wonder if the thing is really as safe as I thought it was. I mean, I had the thing for years, so I surely would have noticed if it was a danger, but there is still a nagging doubt in my mind, which is likely only due to how they reacted in response to finding out what it did.

I'm not sure whether I should be happy or worried that I will never again be able to know ahead of time about my death.

- - - - - - -

Perun snores, apparently.

It is not a particularly loud snore, and I probably would have been able to completely tune it out if I was actually able to sleep, but, despite my exhaustion, that has not been possible. On any other day, I might have found spending the night between them to actually be enjoyable, as they are both very warm and do not have any noticeably unpleasant sleeping habits, like sleep kicking or excessive drooling. In fact, the only thing they do that makes me even mildly uncomfortable is their apparent habit of sleep hugging, which is not to be confused with the far milder version – cuddling.