Chapter 2: The Harrassment

I went to the kitchen and saw a bunch of uncleaned dishes in the sink. I sighed. It was always like this. Uncle always ate at night and would leave all the dishes in the sink for me to wash.

I pulled away my sleeves and trned on the tap water and began to wash the dishes. When I was done, I began to make breakfast.

I heard foot steps and turned around and saw grandma. I smiled at her.

"Assalamualikum, Yumna," grandma said as she came near me.

I turned around and hugged her. "Walikum Assalam, grandma."

She pulled my face to her and kissed my forehead. She looked at the kitchen counter and saw the breakfast that I was making.

"Let me help," she said as she went near the cupboard to take the tea bags out of the cupboard to make tea.

I went back to cooking. I was cooking omlet.

"Did you sleep well, sweetie?" She asked as she poured some water on the kettle.

I shook my head. Before I could answer, we heard yelling from the other room.

"YUMNA! IS THE BREAKFAST READY?!" we heard our uncle.

"Not yet, uncle," I said back.

"I want it ready by five minutes!" he yelled.

I sighed.

Grandma put the kettle on the stove to make the tea. "I wish Radi wasn't like this," she said.

I didn't say anything. I quickly cooked the omlet and toasted some breads. I put the breads and omlet on a plate and I poured tea on a cup and put eveything on a tray.

I took the tray towards the bedroom of my uncle and saw him, sitting on the sofa and drinking. I held my anger and put the tray on the table.

"Good," uncle said as he put the beer bottle on the side and took the tea cup on his hand. He took a sip and then threw it on the floor.

The cup crashed on the floor and hit near my feet.

"Bitch!" He yelled as he got off his seat.

I stepped back in fear. I knew what he was going to do. Any time he didn't like the breakfast, he did something brutal.

Uncle went near me and grabbed onto my hair.

"Ouch," I winched in pain.

"What type of tea was that, huh?" He yelled as he pulled my hair, hard.

"Please," I whimpered as he slapped me on my face.

Then he pushed me on the floor. I landed on the floor and winched in pain as my arms touched the broken glass pieces.

I saw uncle taking a belt from his closet and then as he came near me, he said, "After I fed you and let you stay in my house, you dare to make my tea bad!"

I flet a hit from his belt. Uncle began to hit my back with his belt.

"Fucking bitch! What the hell do you think you are doing?!" He yelled as he whipped me more.

I began to sob in pain.

The room door opened as grandma saw me lying on the floor as my uncle whipped on my back.

"Radi, stop!" She yelled as she rushed to me and tried to block the attack.

Uncle stoped whipping me and pulled away his belt.

Grandma pulled me on her lap.

"Just what the heck you think gou are doing, Radi! Treating her like a garbage-"

"She is a garbage!" Uncle yelled. "She is a burden on me and all I ever told her to do is the prepare my food properly which she didn't! If she think that she can live here for free then she is wrong. To live under my roof, she needs to work for me!"

"She is your niece!" Grandma yelled.

"Like the hell I care!" He yelled throwing the omlet and breads on the floor. He stepped on the food in front of us and held onto my cheeks. "Listen girl! Nobody is going to come and save you so you better start working on serving me better instead of being a burden on me."

Tears ran down my eyes as he pulled away from my cheeks and left the room.

I threw my arms around grandma and began to sob. She hugged me.

"When is this going to be over, grandma?" I sobbed hard.

If only my parents were here, I wouldn't have to suffer this much. I was just being a free loader in this house.

Grandma hugged me and patted my back. "Calm down, Yumna. Soon everything is going to be okay. Have faith in Allah (S.W.T.)."

I pulled away from her and looked at her. "I do, grandma. I believe in Allah (S.W.T.). But, just how long will this continue. I am getting tired of this," I sobbed.

She cupped my cheeks and looked at my eyes. "Everything is going to be okay, Yumna. Everything is going to be turn just like before from this year, baby. You don't even know what is waiting for you today. Just be patient, my child."

I looked at my grandma confusingly. "This year?"

What's so special this year?

"Today is the first day of your new school, sweetie. Go to your room. I will grab some ice pack to heal your back," she said as I noddded.

Today was the first day of my grade - 12 and it was my first day of school as well. I was moved to a different since starting this year and it was grandma's idea so I wondered why she was being so presistance about me changing school suddenly.

I smiled to her and made my way towards my room to change.