-3-

Chapter 3

“I got the food!! Layla?! Where are you?” I yell carrying four bags with cat food as I got inside the shop.

“In the back hurry they’ll eat me alive!!” she exaggerates and I roll my eyes at her making my way to the back.

“My god you can hear them from outside!” I complain but crouch to take a good look at the kitties.

Layla called me to tell me that someone left twenty kitties in front of the shop and coincidentally we were out of cat food. I’m supposed to bring it tomorrow during my shift. Anyway since Katie is on a sick leave, poor thing had a really nasty strong flue, she called me.

“Oh my god, they’re so gorgeous!!” I exclaim caressing three of them.

“yeah it’s such a shame to leave them in an effing box outside, those morons.. seriously I just want to pummel them to death sometimes” she says

“which happened to be all the time” I chuckle taking the big can from her and placing in on the floor in front of the kittens

“it’s not my fault that they’re so damn cruel and ignorant and arrogant and annoying and vicious and-” I cut her by putting my hands on her shoulders before she goes in an overdrive.

“Breathe, Lily, Breathe, look they’re fine and sound. There’s nothing to worry about. okay?”

“yeah yeah… I’m overreacting because I found them and it.. it hurts” her voice cracks at the end.

That’s why I work for Layla. She may be overly emotional and overdramatic but she’s kind hearted and worships animals. Kind of like me, well exactly like me when it comes to animals but I don’t overreact like her. She loves animals and she chose me to be her ears and eyes and run everything when she’s not around because and I quote “your absolute gratitude for the heavens for creating such beautiful creatures and your overwhelming caring for them.”

I don’t know how she got that from only giving them food and grooming them, but she says she can see inside one’s soul. That creeped me out a bit but made me laugh because she had no successful relationship. But before you say because she’s a dramatic cat lady, she’s anything but that. She has forty-two animal shops and shelters around the country and she’s working on creating some outside the UK, so that’s why she doesn’t have a pet. She doesn’t like to choose between her children.

“I know they’re sick and they’re assholes who only care about themselves nothing new there” I say to let her know that we are on the same page. “and now those adorable kittens need to be fed so let’s get to work ya?”

“yeah yeah you’re right!! let’s!” she says enthusiastically.