1:: Rainy Days and Bright Pink Umbrellas

1:: Rainy Days and Bright, Pink Umbrellas

It all started on a rainy day.

There were five minutes left until school was officially out. For the weekend anyways. I noticed the rain had slowed down to a nice drizzle. I was glad that I wouldn't get drenched. The bell rang, bringing me back to school. My notebook and pens were packed away in my bag and I was out the door in less than 30 seconds, like always. I would meet my best friend, Amelia (or Mia as I called her) outside the school. We talked like we always did after school. She told me about how annoying her teachers were and how boring history was and she talked abut that cute boy in gym and how I should find a cute boy and then finally, 'Look, Addy! There he is! Andrey! Hi!" and then she'd ditch me to go talk to Andrey, the cute boy in gym; just like every other day. And then, I'd walk to the bus station to wait for both my brother and the bus like every other day.

Only, three very different things happened. One. Mia wasn't waiting there for me. Two. My brother was home sick. And three. The bus never came.

I was about to call the bus headquarters, or whatever they call it, to see what was wrong. Except before I could press 'call', someone said, "The buses aren't running today." I whirled around, only to be face-to-face with Andrey, the cute boy from gym.

"Oh. W-why not?" I asked, in a quiet voice. The buses always ran, even in blizzards. I should know. This last winter, I got caught in one of the heaviest blizzards on the west coast and I was lost and cold and tired. Then, I saw my saving grace. A bus.

"Are you even listening?" His deep voice rang in my ears, bringing me back to the present.

I dropped my head in embarrassment. "Oh. Sorry. I must've zoned out. Sorry."

"It's fine. Not that big a deal. But, if you need a ride, I've got one. It looks like the rain is starting again." He said, while pointing to a black motorcycle. My eyes widened and I quickly shook my head, almost violently. He chuckled. "What, you scared of a little bike?"

I nodded, almost indiscernibly. "Yes, a-actually. Terrified." (I really wanted to ride it, just not with him.) My voice came out breathy.

He laughed at this. "Oh come on, I'll hold your hand if you get too scared."

I shook my head again. "No t-thank you. I'd much r-rather walk in the r-rain, than get on a m-motorcycle. And with that I turned and started walking, looking up at the sky. I looked down in time to jump out of the way of the bike rushing a foot past me. My breath came out unsteadily and shaky. I knew it was going to rain, I was just hoping to get home before it happened.

~~~~

So, I walked the mile home in the foggy storm.

It was after the turn onto my street, that the sky released itself. And I mean released itself as in almost-tsunami-wave-creating rain. I was scrambling to cover my backpack and all the important documents (and not to mention the books) in it, when I heard someone yell, "Need an umbrella?"

I turned and saw probably the most beautiful boy I had ever seen. His hair; a rough brown, matching his chocolate eyes. He wore a casual, white dress shirt, paired with black slacks. (Yes, I realize this seems way too formal for a high-schooler but you should've seen it. It worked.) I quickly remembered he had asked me something and shook my head, immediately regretting it. I was drenched, of course I needed it. "You sure? You looked soaked." He called over to me, walking closer.

"I am soaked. And I actually could use an umbrella. But there's really no point." I replied.

"Oh? No point? Please explain as to why there's no point to stop you from getting a cold and/or worse." He said, coming to a stand-still in front of me.