Chapter 3

Standing right in front of the doorway to my home was the devil in human form. The one who abandoned my father when he needed someone. She made me think that someone actually cared, then left.

"Hannah, is that really you? You've grown so tall!" Veronica said with the fakest smile I've ever seen. She reached over to give me a hug, and I took a step back.

" Get away from me you lying slut." I say. I walk around her and straight to me room as my dad yells "Wait! It's not what it looks like! Just listen!"

I slam the door before I hear another word.

What the hell is she doing here?

Two years ago my dad met Veronica at a local diner. They started going out, and soon she moved in with us. She cooked dinner everynight, and was like a mom to me. She acted like she cared. My dad stopped drinking, and we were all happy. Until one night, we woke up, and she was just gone. All she left was a note that said "I'm sorry, I had to go."

Now, a year later, she's shown up here. What us she thinking? That I'll just open my arms to her, welcome her freely into my life?

My thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the door. It's my dad, dressed in a nice shirt and tie, freshly shaven. This is the best I've seen him in months.

"Hannah, let me explain. Veronica texted me and said that she was in town on business and needed a place to stay."

"She can't stay here. I can't even stand to see her face, let alone live with her."

"It's only for three nights. You'll be fine."

"Why are you all dressed up?" I ask

"Veronica and I are going out for dinner to catch up."

"First your letting her stay in our house, now your going to dinner with her! How could you!" I say and slam the door.

I hear him say sorry through the door then walk away. I hear the car leave the driveway as they drive .