Project Element (Chapter 5)

Chapter 5:

"Zach, we're hungry!" I whined, shaking the bars of my cell, "Oh Zachie!"

Blaze shook his head at me, but I swear I saw the corner of his mouth curl up in amusement.  

When you're locked in a cell, you've got to appreciate the little things.

Four weeks had passed since we had arrived, and we had made absolutely no progress toward escaping.  We had however, fallen into a familiar pattern.  Every morning we'd wake up when the scientist switched shifts at 7 in the morning.  Well, I'd wake up at least.  I'd realized Blaze could sleep through a stampede.  But I'd whine and call his name into he'd grudgingly wake up with me.  

For the first week, they'd separate us, and take us into an interview room.  Then, they'd ask us questions.

"Where's Project Water and Earth?"

"Can they use their powers?"

"What are their plans now that you're here?"

"Do you have an escape plan?"

I took most of it as a joke.  I told them incredible tales of Claire making fifty foot tidal waves and Savannah erecting mountains.  Then, Claire created a river and they built a boat and rode the river to the beach.  They were obviously planning to take over the world.  And of course we had an escape plan, but I wasn't going to share it with them. (Insert exaggerated wink here.)

Scientists don't have a great sense of humor.  

Eventually they gave up on trying to ask me anything.  Blaze was only taken to the room half as long as me, when he broke a guy’s nose on the third day.  (Or so he claims.)  I think he's just trying to seem tough.  He probably just sat there in a brooding silence.

Zach came and visited almost daily.  Blaze dealt with him.  I thought he was a breath of fresh air.  He told us stories of life in Central City.  He told us about growing up with a mad scientist as a dad.  He brought us snacks and fast food, so much better than the bread and soup the lab provided us with.  One day he even showed up with sleeping bags for me and Blaze.  (Blaze's had flames on it.  He'd rolled his eyes at that one.)

We'd still never met his father.  Zach assured us that we didn't want to.  

Other than Zach, we were rarely bothered.  It seemed as if the scientists had better things to do.  People rarely even passed through, since the only other door that came off of our room was to the one where they had created Blaze, and there was still yellow caution tape across that doorway.  

"I don't think Zach's here yet." I pouted, "Damn, and I wanted a shower."

"I was hoping that's what you wanted.  I'm starting to smell you over here."  Blaze held his nose, and wrinkled his face into an unattractive look.

"Careful, your face might get stuck like that."

"It'd still be better than yours."

It was times like these when I wished I could smack him across the head.  Sadly, the cage was stopping me.  We continued to banter back and forth, but were cut off when the door flew open, and Zach came running in.  

"I've got news!" He was panting and his eyes were sparkling.  

Better be good news.

"Enlighten us." Blaze said, dryly.  

"The oldest and most high ranking member of the council died today.  His daughter's stepping up to replace him.  No one even knew he had a daughter."