Chapter Two

I was just finishing eating my cereal when I heard a knock on my door. I grabbed my cereal and put it in the sink then grabbed my school bag from the couch and practically ran to the door. I opened it for Hailey then left to get my shoes.

"Hey, Addie," Hailey said, already making herself comfortable on the couch. 

"Hey!" I called back from my room, finding my black school shoes. I quickly pulled it on and tied the laces. I was humming the same tune from last night and I frowned, trying to figure out where I heard it before. I walked back to the main area and smiled at Hailey, who was on her phone texting someone with a slight smirk on her face. I wonder whom she's talking to, I wondered. I pulled the straps over my shoulders and nudged her leg with my shoe. She looked up from her phone, looking somewhat startled. I smirked; she's so talking to a boy.

"So, you ready to go?" She glared at me for my mocking tone. I grinned but followed her out the door, not saying anything. I locked my door and went down the two flights of stairs to the main lobby. She was gripping her phone and keys tightly, as if it might fly out her hand if she loosens her grip for just a second. I yawned while we walked to her mini cooper in the parking lot. 

"You got some sleep last night?" Hailey questions, glancing at me from the corner of her eye. I tried to ignore the worry in her eyes. 

"Hmm hmm," I shrugged, "I kinda lost track of time when I was on tumblr." I smiled sheepishly at her while she just shakes her head. We both are tumblr girls, let me tell you, and if you open our laptops the first thing you'll see is tumblr. It's a sad-happy addiction. 

"Of course you did, why am I so surprised," she said sarcastically and smiled. We slowed down our walking when we reached Hailey's car and she unlocked it. I opened the passenger side and sat in, reaching behind me to leave my bag there. Hailey started the car and we were off to school. She put on the radio for some indie music and we nodded our head to the beat a few times when we hear a song that we recognise. 

We made small talk all the way to our school, though it was mostly Hailey talking about how cool senior year was going to be. Once we arrived at school and parked the car, we grabbed our bags and walked briskly into the school hall. There were already a lot of students hanging around outside and inside the school, talking animatedly about their summer with their friends. There were laughter and giggles, and a whole lot of hellos. I reached my locker and stuffed my bag inside then took out all the books I needed for my next lessons. Hailey stood a few lockers to my left, doing the same. Once I shut my locker and turned to look at her, she was already talking to MJ, our other best friend, though I'm not as close to her as I am to Hailey. I walked up to them and smiled at MJ.

"Why hello there, if it isn't Miss Adeline Withers," she winked.

"Why, good morning to you too, Miss Mary-Jane Hefter," I winked back. Hailey rolled her eyes and grabbed our arms, heading towards homeroom.

"Come on guys, I'd rather not be late."

*

Let's just say, the first two weeks of school went by like a blur. There were tests, quizzes, projects, and all sorts of crazy school stuff. It was pretty boring too, the same routine over and over again. Waking up, breakfast, school, then go home, homework, eat, and sleep. And on the weekends, I work. 

When I woke up on that rainy morning, I had no idea that my life was going to change. Like, at all. It was such a normal Tuesday morning I didn't think anything was gonna happen.

Hailey picked me up like usual this morning. I got in the car and waited for her to start the car. When we were halfway to school she told me that she had a dentist's appointment this afternoon. 

"Oh, how will you ever survive," I laughed. No one likes going to the dentist.

"Ugh, I know, but oh well, Mum's already made the appointment," she glanced at me. "I can't drop you off today," she said. I nodded. 

"I know," 

"You alright with that?" she glanced at me again. I rolled my eyes. 

"Yes, I love riding the bus," I smiled reassuringly at her. 

"I know, but what if something happens, like someone stole your bag, or something," she said, her tone laced with worry.

"You know I can take care of myself, Mother," I smiled at her worry; she really is like the big sister I never had. Or little sister, considering I'm older than her. She laughed.

"Okay, okay fine, I just—" I raised my eyebrows waiting for her to continue. "You're always alone, even if you have me and MJ." She blurted out. There was a long silence, you could practically hear a pin drop.

"I know," I said and sighed. "I know." We were silent the whole way to school. Once we reached the school and walked to our locker, we practically were back to normal. MJ went up to me today and asked if I wanted her to drop me off, I told her that it's okay, and that I'd take the bus.

After all my lessons, I grabbed my bag and headed out. Hailey already left so I got out pretty quickly. But as I was reaching the door I accidentally crashed into someone, I stumbled slightly and held on to the girl's elbow since she looked as if she was going to topple right over. She was tiny and I had no trouble imagining her flying away at the slightest force of wing. All her papers flew all around us and she instantly went on her knees to pick it up.

"Whoa," I said, doing the same and picking up some of the papers too. "Sorry, I didn't see you." She shrugged. 

"Me neither," she stood up and organised the papers in her hands. I cleared my throat. 

"Do you need help getting these somewhere?" I said gesturing to the papers in my hands. I quickly took a glance at my watch and realised, if I ran, I could catch up with the bus. She looked relieved and nodded her head. She started heading towards the North wing.

"I'm Adeline, by the way," I said, trailing a few steps behind her. 

"Katie," she said. She opened the door to the Science room where Mr. Walsh, the science teacher, was putting his laptop away.

"Ah, there you are. Oh, and Adeline, it's nice to see you," he said, smiling warmly. Mr. Walsh was one of those looked-up-to teachers. Everyone respected him because he respected us. And probably because he was one of the youngest teachers out there. I smiled back and walked up to his desk, putting the papers down. Katie was starting to put papers into the cabinet and I raised my eyebrows at that. I wouldn't think teachers would allow their students to look through their drawers, unless... I looked at Mr. Walsh and saw an expression I saw too many times on Hailey's face when she sees a cute boy. He went up to Katie and helped her put some papers away, getting way too close a teacher should to a student. His hands were always brushing her shoulders and her elbows, if it wasn't for the fact that Katie was blushing, I would have thought that Mr. Walsh was a sex offender. Katie turned to look at me and blushed when she saw my smirk and knowing look. No way, they are totally sneaking around. Mr. Walsh cleared his throat, his cheeks were red too. They liked each other. And I know what you're thinking, how would I know if they liked each other? Well, I do a lot of people-watching, and I see many expressions on people's faces. I think I can tell when two people have feelings for each other.

"Um, thank you, Adeline, for helping Katie bring the papers," he said, looking anywhere but me. My smile grew wider.

"No problem, Mr. Walsh," I turned to Katie, she also looking anywhere but me. "I'm gonna have to catch the bus, it was nice meeting you though, Katie." She nodded. I chuckled quietly and tightened my grip on my bag straps. I turned around and walked out the science room, but before I could take another step outside Mr. Walsh called me. 

"Um, Adeline... Could you— Maybe— Um..." he looked so flustered I couldn't help but smile. 

"Don't worry Mr. Walsh, I won't tell anyone," I said, knowing exactly what he was talking about. I turned around and walked back to the exit, not waiting for his reply. I shook my head, who knew that Mr. Walsh was having a secret relationship with one of his students.