Chapter 1-The Start of it All

Clara had always been one of those people who threw themselves into everything they did

Clara had always been one of those people who threw themselves into everything they did. It was, honestly, a good thing she loved her job.  Every day she would wake up, take a shower, change into her blazer and smart pants, catch the bus and stop off at starbucks for a cup of tea. Her life would almost be cliche if she wasn't catching the bus get to her job at S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters. 

From the outside, much like her life, S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters looked like just another building in New York. It could be anything. From the outside, no one would know what crazy things went on inside.

"Morning, Lewis." Her boss greeted her as she entered her shared office. Clara had been working for Phil Coulson for almost ten years now; he knew her ways and she knew his. Clara had first met Phil when she was 16. She had just lost her parents. It was Phil who encouraged her that she was capable of changing the world. That was why she had joined S.H.I.E.L.D, to help people. After she had graduated S.H.I.E.L.D academy, Phil had taken her under his wing and they had worked together ever since.

"Morning, Phil. What have we got on today?"

"I've got a load of paperwork that needs filing that I thought could use your expertees." Phil said smugly, taking out a brown file with the S.H.I.E.L.D logo on that was completely filled files from past mission that they had neglected to fill in.

"You mean, you want me to do it." Clara said bluntly. She knew by now what 'her expertees' were. Phil avoided making eye contact with her as she sauntered over to the desk to retrieve the folder.

About five files in, Clara's flow was disturbed by the shrill sounding of Phil's phone. Phil was over the other side of the room, both hand's filled with yet more S.H.I.E.L.D files. He looked at it bewildered and fussed around trying to work out what he was going to put down in order to pick up his phone.

"Pick it up!" Clara coaxed then muttered under her breath: "Weirdo."

The silence was once again broken by a chorus of "okay"s and "understood"s from Phil who was listening intently to whoever is was on the other end of his phone call and scribbling down the odd pieces of information.

"Okay, I understand... What do you mean you didn't think I'd be so calm? I'd like to let you know, I am a professional, sir...Okay, sir, I'll see you in 5." Phil mumbled not quite loud enough for Clara to pick up the whole conversation.

"Who was that?" Clara said blandly, trying to sound uninterested to mask her sneaking around. She didn't even look up from her desk.

"That's classified." Phil said and Clara shot him a glare. He smirked at her and she rolled her eyes. "It was Fury. You'll never guess what it was about."

"No, that's why I asked."

"They found Captain America and want me on the team!"

"Oh wow, that's the most exciting thing to have ever happen to you!" Clara chided affectionately. "Meeting some old guy from the war is going to be so much fun."

"I know! Do you want to come along too, we'll have so much fun! Do think I should bring my vintage Captain America trading cards? Do you think he'll sign them?" Phil spouted.

"No, do not do that. You'll just scare him off. And no, I do not want to come with you. I'll spend the whole time cringing at how embarrassing you'll be around the poor man." Clara explained, pretending to be focused on the files.

"Then you can finish these files for me. Have fun, Clara." Phil said as he disappeared down the hall. Clara was left alone and, in this time, she began to realise the true amount of work she had left to do.

Hey everyone!

I hope you liked this first chapter- I'm really excited about this book :)

Comment what you think,

if you liked it, give it a vote!