Chapter 1

Dean was confused. This wasn't an uncommon thing seeing as he was incredibly hard-headed, but this time it wasn't What killed those teens? or What should I order for lunch?, it was about Cas. The words, Cas and weird could often be grouped into the same sentence, but this was different.

When it came to angels, a lot of things are confusing, but Dean wasn't confused on the actual thing, more like the reaction to said thing. The "thing" was the ring of blue fire that swirled over Castiel's head, something Dean could only assume to be his halo.

What was confusing Dean, was that no one seemed to comment on it, or even notice it. But to Dean? It was enchanting. He couldn't stop noticing it.

It was stunning, a ring of blue fire, constantly swirling. Sometimes it rotated slowly, other times it spun so fast it was barely a blur. It moved up and down too, sometimes sitting atop the angel's hair, other times floating more than a foot over his head. It provided no Heat but glowed. It seemed to change in brightness also. Sometimes being a faint glow, and other times glowing so bright it challenged the sun.

After a while of being around Cas for a while, Dean concluded the halo corresponded to the man's emotions. Cas was happy? The halo would rise. Cas was thinking hard or fast, the halos rotation would speed up. When Cas didn't understand something, the halo, like his head, tilted slightly to one side. When Cas felt strongly about something, or when he tapped into his grace, the fire burned brighter. And Vise Versa.

Of course, these were all guesses on Deans part, he wasn't actually one hundred percent sure what the movements meant. He was quite confident in his assumption, but he didn't dare ask Castiel. He didn't want to pressure the angel or, to be frank, seem stupid. He felt that talking about halo's was a personal topic, seeing as no one discussed them.

But it was strange though, no one seemed to notice about the beautiful fire that rested above the angel's head. No one seemed to care. So far, Dean couldn't see any other angel's halo's, which bothered him even more. What if something was wrong with Castiel?

Eventually, he decided to ask Sam. He approached his brother in the war room when Cas was out doing who knows what who knows where. Right now there wasn't a case or any world situations that had the potential to bite them in the ass if they focused on something else for a moment. So Dean took this rare chance of a grey area to ask Sam before the chance slipped between his fingers.

"Heyya Sammy, can I ask you something?" Sam looked up from his computer at his brother, an eyebrow raised.

"Yeah sure, what's up?"

"I wanted to ask about" Dean paused for a moment, unsure why he felt a sudden tightening in his chest when talking about Cas, "About Cas' halo. For example-"

Dean was cut off by his brother "Cas doesn't have a halo," Sam said simply, his voice filled with confusion and interest.

"Uh, what the fuck do you think that glowing ring on top of his head is, dumbass?" Dean shot back, a bit more hostile than he meant to.

"Dean, there is no 'glowing ring' on top of his head," Sam said. Both boys sat quietly for a few seconds, organizing their thoughts. Sam seemed to zone out completely before sighing and saying, " Why don't we just call Cas down here and ask him?"

  "Yeah," Dean said trying to keep a sense of calm in his voice. He really didn't want to ask the angel about the halo issue. He began regretting coming to Sam. It would have been better if I just kept my mouth shut, he thought.