Chapter Twenty-Five: Everything is going according to plan

Spending three weeks locked inside your own mind with nothing but a nurse for company was detrimental in ways I would never be able to describe

Spending three weeks locked inside your own mind with nothing but a nurse for company was detrimental in ways I would never be able to describe. The only way I had managed to stay sane was to spend all my time planning my escape. I passed the time by going through every possible escape scenario.

Thanks to television my brain had collected a lot of jail-break type information. I had never thought watching Prison Break or The Great Escape would ever come in handy, but boy was I wrong. To date I had 34 possible escape ideas in place for the day I was able to move again, which was supposed to be today if Moroi kept his word. I doubted it.

My nurse came into the room, as per usual for this time of day - although I had no idea what time it actually was, and went about her usual routine. I could hear her sighing and grumbling under her breath, which was also a common occurrence. I had heard her complain about having to take care of me on several occasions. If it hadn't been for Moroi's insistence that I stay alive (for now), I had no doubt that she would have tried to kill me ages ago.

The door opened again and I heard the nurse squeak in fear. Someone else was in the room with us. I could hear the person's footsteps nearing my bed. Nine and a half steps, in fact, from door to bed. More information that I had collected for my getaway.

"Well, hello again, Alethea," Moroi's smug voice called down to me. "I'm going to assume you're awake and listening to me. If not, well, that's not my problem.

"I hope you've been getting plenty of rest because today you're going to be very very busy."

I forced myself to concentrate, even though my mind wanted to wander. After spending so much time in my own thoughts it was hard to focus on anything else.

"I know you're just dying to get out of this room, so we've arranged a nice cell for you. It has a great view and you're right across from your parents! Isn't that nice?"

And I had thought things couldn't get worse. Apparently the horror was just starting.

We didn't account for anyone else in our escape plans! This is going to be a disaster! My inner voice shouted.

Shut up! Don't you think I know that! I snapped back. Just shut up and let me think!

"Unfortunately they haven't exactly been the best tenants. They've caused me quite a bit of trouble, especially that mother of yours, so I had to move a few of my friends in to keep an eye on them.

"Throw a few monsters into their cell and they get docile as little lambs. It's funny the amount of fear you can instill in people without actually having to inflict major injuries. It would be nice if you were that easy to control."

If I had had control over any of my bodily functions I would have either attacked him or spat in his face. Probably both. I was going to kill him for good this time.  I already had a plan for that too.