Trial (Part I)

Ja'far

"Off on another errand, Ja'far?" Yamuraiha asks, Sin and Sharrkan trailing behind him. Looks like they've just returned from their sparring session with (y/n). My mind drifts back to earlier this morning, how she dived into the smoke screen she created to blind Sin and Sharrkan. Did she win this time?

"If by 'errand', you mean stopping that old merchant's shrieking from bursting all our eardrums, then yes," I say, my attention focused on the documents I was sorting for said merchant. "Aren't you taking (y/n) with you? She could help," suggests Sin. "No," I say. "Let her rest after her sparring session."

"You like her, don't you?"

The box of documents slips from my hands, tumbling to the floor and sending the papers flying like a disturbed flock of seagulls.

Yamuraiha laughs. "Relax, Ja'far. You don't have to answer if you don't want to." With a wave of her staff, the documents whirl back into their place in the box. "Besides," adds Sharrkan, an evil grin dancing on his face, "the answer's pretty obvious anyway. Don't think Sinbad didn't notice how you've been secretly working late into the night to finish (y/n)'s share of paperwork."

"It's not like that!" I say even as I feel a furious blush rushing into my cheeks. I don't have time for this. I have more important things to do-

"You know, we asked (y/n) the same question too just now," says Sin.

"Really? What did she say?" I ask, turning back and running up to him.

"Geez, you're so transparent."

I suppress the urge to slap the smirk off his face. Yam and Sharrkan, on the other hand, have gone quiet for some reason. In fact, they seem flustered. "L-let's not talk about this anymore. Ja'far has to go do his thing, right?" stutters Sharrkan. I raise an eyebrow, at his sudden considerateness, but grab the chance to escape my friends' teasing.

Really, though. I have to find out what (y/n)'s answer was some time later.

Sharrkan

"Of course I like him."

(Y/n)'s answer was quick, direct and nonchalant.

"If I disliked him, we wouldn't have been able to work together for the trading company that well."

Next to me, Yamuraiha snickered. "Not like that, (y/n)! By 'like', I mean more than just a co-worker or friend. You know, the romantic type of 'like'." (Y/n)'s eyes widen, lighting up with realisation. "Oh! You mean like the way you and Sharrkan like each other?"

Man, I hated how I couldn't think of a snarky response. I just stood there blushing and gaping like an asthmatic goldfish. Yamuraiha was no better. For someone who's so calm 90% of the time, (y/n) sure knows how to push our buttons.

"Sharrkan? Earth to Sharrkan!" Yamuraiha whacks me on the head with her staff, jolting me out of my thoughts. "Just stop thinking about that already. Sin is talking," she scolds. "As if you weren't thinking about it too!" I yell back, but only inside my head, of course. My king has something to say.

"(Y/n) agreed to take the second test," he says. Of course she did. Sinbad has the power to send an army to save Karin's village, while (y/n) can just stay here in the kingdom where she and her powers are safe. But she knows how great a help her powers can be against Al Thamen. And when it comes to saving her people, I'm sure she wants to do everything she can to make sure they stay safe from Al Thamen forever.

"If she passes, you'll let her go, right?" I ask. Sinbad nods. "That's what I promised her."

Well, this might get interesting.

Ja'far

The scratching of pen against paper races through the otherwise complete silence of my study. "Almost there..." I mumble to myself. Finally, I finish writing my last report, adding it eagerly to the stack of completed work next to me.

Throwing my arms up in the air in a half cheer, half stretch, I let myself collapse into bed – or rather, the mattress I dragged from my actual bedroom to my study. Now, I can get some much-needed slee-

The windows burst open and a black-clad figure slides in. "(Y/n), what the heck?" I shout. Her (e/c) eyes flick to the pile of papers on my desk. "I knew you were doing my share of work every night since Karin told us about how Al Thamen's enslaving my clan," she says.

"Did Sin tell you?" I sigh.

"No. I guessed it myself. It's very like you to do something like this."

She leans against the window sill, wearing her combat clothes, complete with a bow and quiver of arrows slung across her back. She's up to something. Catching me doing her work isn't the only reason she's broken into my study and ruined my sleep.

"Ja'far, let's fight," she says, sounding scarily determined and serious. I balk.

"Now? In the middle of the night?"

"No better time to practice fighting in the dark, right?"

I run a hand through my hair exasperatedly. She's really gone crazy this time, hasn't she?

"Fine, but make it quick," I say.

The desk lamp's light casts a golden sheen on her glass-like (e/c) eyes as they turn to me. "Oh, I will." She leans back and plummets out of the window.

Author's Note: I'm very, very sorry about this really late update. I recently quit this course I'm taking outside of school, so hopefully I'll have more time to write from now on. Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you to all my readers and voters! It really means a lot to me.