My Fille Fatale

The low hum of a running motor stirred an unconscious man from his slumber. A dull ache shot through his temple as he struggled between the darkness of his unconsciousness and that of reality. He had no earthly idea why, but as he continually fought to pull himself from the pit that was his mind, something told him that he should let go. To fall into that deep abyss...

A distant slam of a car door jolted the man from the grasps of his comatose state. His eyes opened wide, bewildered from his sudden awakening.

The stupefied man attempted to whip his head to the side, as if to take in his surroundings. Pain shot up his spine at the sudden, jerking movement. He tried to lift his hands to his aching head then, but found that thick, brown leather straps held his wrist down on a large, metal operating table of some sort. Dread washed over him as he ventured to move his legs too, though he was sure he already knew the answer to whatever it was he was looking for. His ankles were strapped down, safely secured to ensure that any gambles of escape were dwindled down exceedingly.

Panic surged through him then, as his sweat drenched body began to struggle against its restraints. Confusion clouded his mind; all he could do was squirm helplessly on the table under him, as he surveyed his surroundings. The large area in which he was laying seemed vaguely familiar, though he couldn't exactly pinpoint where he had seen it before.

There were large, blinding lights facing in towards the table, much like those found on nighttime construction sites. It was difficult to see anything beyond the lights but an atramentous backdrop. Yet, he managed to conclude that he was in a vacant building of some sort.

In an attempt to appease his strained neck, he rested his head against the cold metal beneath him, allowing the loud hum of cicadas to envelope the humid summer air around him. Strangely, he found the sound comforting.

Unbeknownst to him, the struggle against his restraints had left him exhausted and his eyes grew heavy the longer he laid there. It was not until his eyelids had managed to close, casting him into a light sleep, did a fleeting thought seem to enter his mind.

Who was the owner of the car he had heard outside?