Chapter one.

"I am very sorry to inform you this sir but earlier today Samantha O’Neill passed away." The woman said over the phone her week voice filled with sorrow. A single tear feel down Alex’s pale cheek, he didn’t know what to say or how to feel, he just felt numb.

The phone in his hand felt like a brick he was struggling to uphold. Her voice sounded like a whisper to his ear compared to the crashing of his chest.  There was silence on both ends, tears streaked down Alex's face feeling like fire against his cold skin.  He lost his baby sister his heart tearing in half, and then shattering into a million pieces.

"As I said sir I am very sorry for your loss and I hope you receive your sister’s gift soon. She sent it two days ago." She came again her voice filled with sadness. Just as soon as she said it there was a short BEEP then the line went dead.  His phone dropped and smashed to the floor, a rock pressing down in his stomach as guilt over whelmed him. His head fell to his office desk and he sobbed the tears soaking into his suit.

Why? Why did she have to die so young? My little Sammy is dead; I can’t live with the fact she’s going to be lying under a heap of mud. She can’t be dead! She was only fourteen! Tears streaked down his face as he realised the fact that no, she was eighteen, it had been years since he left.  

“I never should have left!” He shouted slamming his fist to the desk he knocked everything flying off. “Why did I have to leave my baby sister? She was so young!” He shouted out standing up walking around his office.

Silence. Pure unbearable silence.  

“Alex, I’m home!” He heard his wife’s happy chirp and his blue eyes widened. She can’t find out about Sammy, I have kept her a secret for this long, she can’t find out. He said to himself sitting up and wiping away his tears.

Blinking hard he managed to stop the next wave of tears from falling. Standing up he walked out from his office and greeted his wife with a tight hug. “Is everything ok babe?” She asked raising an eye brow as she wrapped her arms tightly around him.

She felt his body shake in her arms and instantly she knew something was up. Pulling away she looked into his puffy red eyes and smiled sadly at him. “You know you can tell me anything Alex, I’m your wife you don’t need to suffer alone.” He silently nodded looking down at his hands.

“Izzy, do you mind if I be alone for a little while? I-I just need to be alone...” He trailed off looking in every direction but her sad grey eyes. As soon as she sent him a small nod he quickly turned on his heel and started towards his bedroom.

“Oh! Alex there is a parcel here.” She said just before he turned the corner. He stopped dead in his tracks. Too soon! It’s just too soon! He started to run; opening the bedroom door he slammed it behind him the impact causing a vase to fall and shatter on the ground.