Letters from The Lady

A camel.

Marie-Fey was staring up at a camel.

"This is certainly... why a camel?"

That excellent question came from Nabeela, Keeper of the Baths in the palace.

She and many of the other women stood around Marie-Fey in the gardens, staring up at the camel that was chewing away and looking between them, clearly debating on who to spit at.

And Marie-Fey just stared up at the creature, shoulders slumped and mouth open, one eyebrow raised.

"What... exactly am I supposed to do with it?' Marie-Fey said, heaving a sigh before looking up at the animal again. "Maybe I'll have you roasted," she said with a wicked grin.

The camel bellowed and spat at her.

The ladies around her screamed and Marie-Fey had her fan up between her face and the spit so face no one even saw her move.

The vomit hit her fan and she flung the accessory aside.

"Oh, I see, you have an attitude!" she sneered.

The camel snorted at her.

"Who the hell sent me a camel?" Marie-Fey snarled, making her ladies gasp at her crass language.

"Our Lord," Maanah said, unfolding the letter to look at it, unfazed by the new addition to the family.

"Why?!"

"Our Lord asks you to write to him."

Marie-Fey stared at her.

"Why?!" she repeated. "I wrote to him last week, what does he want?!"

Maanah glanced at her through her long lashes.

"He wishes to know how you are faring."

"Argh," Marie-Fey snapped, spinning away with a dismissive wave, "Have that camel put in the stables... or wherever one might keep a camel. Everyone else, back to your work!"

The guards came to collect the camel and her ladies dispersed as Marie-Fey strode back to her apartments to write a reply.

To my honourable husband,

Your latest gift has startled us all! What a fantastic creature you have presented me with, I don't know what I would do with it. Right now, it is making itself at home in the stables. Perhaps I shall buy a few more and set about racing them.

I pray this letter finds you well and happy and successful.

Your ever-obedient wife.

She set the letter aside and Maanah handed her a second one as she collected the first.

"This also arrived," she said.

Marie-Fey glanced at it, not wanting to deal with other corresponds until she saw the lazy, elegant scrawl of her brother.

She grabbed the letter and swept out onto the balcony, taking a seat as she broke the seal and opened it.

Marie, how are you, sister dear?

We're all bored without you! Beldon has been sent out to war again. I hate how he goes off with such easy confidence like he's off to bloody picnic. If he gets his head blown off by a cannonball it'll serve him right. I pity poor old Luka, having to suffer THAT as a partner. Here's us scared he'll never come home and there's him riding off down the road, laughing like a moron with his goons. I swear I hate the boy sometimes!

Ah, but in more entertaining news. Valentine has been spending all his time with Miss Yumiko – Rosalia is mad at him for monopolising all her time. It's hilarious watching them at every ball, silently arguing when he wants to dance with her and Rosalia wasn't to introduce her to other suitable men. There's also talk of her returning to her home country for a time and Val might escort her – being the heir to the family that has been instrumental to her wellbeing while she has been overseas, all very innocent of course. If they don't come back married, I'll swear off married women! Though maybe I shouldn't promise that, Antionette would quite possibly lose her mind if he married without the grand ceremony with all friends in attendance. If they don't come back engaged, I shall sweat off engaged women. That's better.

Antionette and Rosalia are fine, by the way.

Antionette is due to host one of the biggest galas of the season so you can imagine what she's been like but she's doing a wonderful job. I wish you could attend. Antionette hates that neither you nor Beldon will be there for the event. She's hosting the dinner in honour of Bel and the dance in honour of you.

The biggest news, of course last, is we think Rosalia might be expecting again. I hope it's a girl this time. I love the boys, but I want a niece as well. Rosy hasn't said anything yet but we can tell, it's like when she had the twins. She'll probably update you herself soon.

We're sending a huge deal of presents to you for the season so make sure you write to us and tell us what you think of them. And write to us soon.

We're missing you.

Your lonely brother,

Constantine

Marie-Fey looked at the letter for a moment, then read it again and a third time.

It sounded busy as ever back home. To think, Rosalia might be having another child. She agreed with Con. She wanted a niece. She loved Rosalia's twin boys and Antionette's two sons, but she wanted a niece to spoil, when she could, when she was home.

They had to make up for the fact that it didn't look like she would ever have children herself.

The thought made her grimace and she got to her feet, walking back into her rooms to start her reply.

"My Lady, would you perhaps like to open some of the gifts Our Lord sent you while you were away?" Maanah asked, glancing to the ever-present mountain of gifts she hadn't touched.

"No, maybe later," Marie-Fey without even looking at her, "What I want is some tea."

Maanah's sigh was almost inaudible and Marie-Fey chose to ignore her. Instead she picked up her quill. She set the tip on the page and paused.

"What shall you tell your brother, My Lady?" Gharam asked.

Marie-Fey wondered that for a moment.

She was tempted to tell him how her husband still wasn't in attendance. That most of the girls didn't want anything to do with her and she wasn't making strides to change that. That the heat was unbearable and made her feel sick. That she wanted to go home again.

He didn't know any of that stuff, of course.

"I'm going to tell him about the camel," she said and started to write, spinning a wild, hilarious tale revolving around the arrival of the camel that was sure to have the men in the clubs Con attended roaring with laughter. One that assured him she was fine.

~~~~~

Next up: Monday

Art by: Julia Wimmerlin