Drink

(Set after the war)

Toph's POV:

I walk up the path leading to our current home in Ba Sing Se. Aang and Katara have been exploring the city together, and Mai and Zuko have been off doing stuff, so it's just been Suki, Sokka, and I during the day.

As I push open the door to the house, I notice only one person is there. Suki is sitting at the table reading a book.

"Hey Suki." I say to get her attention.

She jumps before answering. "Oh hi Toph."

"Do you know where Sokka is?" I ask,

trying to sound nonchalant.

"No. He left about an hour ago to go to the market. I'm sure he'll be back anytime." She answered, starting to read her book again. Without replying,I walk out of the still open door and head back down the path in search for Sokka.

I reach a street lined with carts. I don't sense Sokka's heavy footsteps, so I move onto the next street. I continue to walk street to street for about an hour before I stop to lean against a wall.

"Where could he be?" I ask myself under my breath. Just as I was about to get up and continue my search, I feel a familiar vibration through the wall.

I smile widely and run around the corner into another alley, following his vibrations. As I round another corner into an alley that leads straight to another street I hear Sokka's laugh.

He is sitting up against the wall of the alley.

"Snoozels! What are you doing?" I ask quite loudly, trying to mask my worry.

A slurred voice replies, "Oh heeey Toph! I found some cactus- Why are you on fire again?" He keeps babbling on.

"Sokka... You didn't," I sigh. Not this again. How did he even get cactus juice? Just as I was about to yell at him he interrupts me by pushing a cut-open cactus dripping with cactus juice into my hands. I place it on the ground and grab Sokka's arm and attempt to pull him up.

"Come on! We have to get you back to the house." I tell him tugging on his arm. He falls into me and I'm knocked to the ground. He looks up at me and smiles wildly and laughs.

"You look pretty." He giggles. My face immediately turns a dark red.

"You really drank a lot," I whisper to my self as he tries to push the cactus half back into my hands.

"No!" I half laugh, half shout. He pouts, then pinches my nose.

"It'll quench ya!" He flops on his back. I can't help but smile.

"A sip won't hurt..." I take a tiny drink.

"Mmm" I sigh. This stuff is good. My mind begins to fog over and I giggle. try to stop myself but my brain won't listen. The giggle breaks into a loud laugh, then I loose control of mind completely.

Katara's POV:

Aang and I arrive at the house just before the sun starts to set. He opens the door for me and I set the bags of food next to the door. Suki is reading a book I lent her a couple days ago, and Mai and Zuko are playing Pai Sho.

"Hey you guys!" I say cheerfully. Suki looks up and says hi, and Mai and Zuko wave. I then realize two people are missing.

"Where's Toph and Sokka?" Aang asks before I can open my mouth to speak. I begin to worry about the possibilities of where they are.

"Sokka left to go to the market about four hours ago and Toph went to go look for him about 3 hours ago." Suki told us. She closed her book and slid it into the middle of the table.

"We should go look for them," I trail off. Aang wraps his arms around me.

"We'll find them." He reassures me.

"Then let's get going!" Suki says, standing up.

"We'll stay here." Zuko mumbles. I lead the way out the door and begin running down the path, Aang and Suki following close behind.

We reach the market just as the sun reaches half-way behind the mountains.

"What did Sokka say he was getting?" I turn and ask Suki.

"Meat." She answered quickly.

"I should have guessed!" I sigh to myself. We turn in the direction of the butcher carts and begin walking fast. We walk through two alleys before I hear the familiar laugh of Toph. I then hear Sokka's voice.

"This way!" Aang shouts and begins running down another alley. All three of us skid to a halt at the sight before us. Sokka and Toph lay on the ground laughing and mumbling incoherently, surrounded by at least 30 cut open cactuses. Puddles of the juice color the grey rock milky white.

"Sokka you're so stupid!" I yell.

"It's the quenchiest!" Sokka sighs.

"I can't believe you! AGH!" I rage and begin to stomp towards them. Aang's hand wraps around my wrist.

"Katara, talk to him later about it." Aang tries to calm me. I think about pulling away and scolding Sokka even more, but then decide against it.

"Let's get then back to the house." I said firmly. Aang picks up Toph and puts her over her shoulder. Suki does the same with Sokka. They walk ahead of me as we make our at to the house.

Sokka's POV:

The fog in my brain lightens enough for me to be conscious of what I'm doing. I laugh and flail my arms around. I'm being carried... I look over an see Toph carried by someone else.

"Pretty," I sigh and point at her.

The last thing I remember before slipping back into the cactus juice fog is her blushing.