Of Dog Stars and Ice Queens

I certainly didn't expect to wake up with a guy's face inches from mine. I blinked, wide-eyed and then screamed. It woke the guy up and he fell off the bed in surprise. Then I stopped. I started to laugh instead.

"What's so bloody funny?" Sirius asked as he stood up, holding his head and wincing.

"I'm s-sorry," I laughed. "You- you were... You fell off the bed..."

I laughed a little more, Sirius cracking a cocksure smile and joining me. When the giggles subsided, I realised what I had found funny and looked at him a little angrier.

"What. Were. You. Doing on my bed?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Oh that? Nothing. I think I was so sleepy I forgot what I was doing," Sirius shrugged. He tossed his hair from his eyes. He was cute in a shaggy and not Freddie Mercury way when he did that. He caught me staring and sent me a new type of smile.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "Okay, Freak. Get out of my room before someone else barges in and sees you in here," I said coldly and got out of bed, pointing at the door.

"Wow. You went from friendly to angry so quickly I think you just gained yourself the nickname of Ice Queen," Sirius said and winked. He sighed dramatically. "Well, here I go. Walking to the door... Oh wait. Do you have the time?"

"Time for what?" I asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

"I meant, what's the time?" he asked, thinking I didn't notice when he added under his breath the words, "Big Bad Wolf."

I scowled and turned to the grandfather clock. "Seven thirty in the morning," I told him.

"Brilliant. Why don't you follow me down to breakfast?" Sirius offered.

"Okay, Dog Star," she said, her tone cutting. "Firstly, I need to get changed, shower and all that morning routine stuff."

"Then do it then. I can wait," Sirius said. He wasn't getting it. I didn't want him to wait.

"Um... You're in here," I said.

"I may be charming, but I'm not a pervert," Sirius said and turned to face the wall, sitting down and crossing his legs. He looked around his shoulder. "Go on. All the good croissants will be gone if you don't get into the shower now."

"Croissants?" I asked. My mouth watered. I loved croissants. My mouth watered at the thought.

I scowled at him and he turned back to the wall. I licked my lips and zipped to shower. I spent at least five minutes in there and then hopped out, using my towel as a makeshift dress so I could go grab a skirt and a shirt. I was slipping my skirt on when I caught Sirius looking.

"Turn," I barked.

"Sorry. I just wanted the time," he said, staring at my legs.

"Sirius Black!" I said and grabbed a pillow to throw at him. My aim was off and it hit the wall beside him instead. Still, at least he turned around again.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Sirius asked.

I eyed the back of his head as I did the belt of my skirt up. "Sure, I guess."

"What don't you like about me?" he asked and I sighed when the words sank in.

"It's not you I don't like," I told him.

"Your sisters?"

"Partly."

"Well, what is it then? You called me a freak earlier. You called my friends freaks," Sirius said, turning a little.