Chapter 7: Fly Me To The Moon

"Fill my heart with song,
Let me sing forever more
You are all I long for,
All I worship and adore"

Frank Sinatra - "Fly Me To The Moon"

*****

December 16th

I was sitting at home, reading a few emails and tending to files when my phone buzzed. I released a hearty sigh, setting my laptop down on the table along with my half-eaten lo-mein. I swear if this is anything work-related... I flipped the device over to see my screen, a smile making its way on my lips as I saw my background: Anna and I in front of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree. 

Speak of the devil, she was the one who texted me. However, panic and unease settled in me as I saw the text.

I need to talk to you. Is now a good time?

I did not even hesitate to initiate a call, nervously waiting for her to pick up. Almost instantly, the other line clicked a few times as it connected.

"Chrom?"

"Hey, I'm right here. What's up?" I leaned back on my couch, fidgeting with a nearby pillow.

I could hear Anna taking a few breaths. "I-it's about the job..." she shakily replied.

Both hope and dread spiked through my heart, each feeling ready to pounce at her next words. "And?" I have to be hopeful. Is she going to take the one with us?

"No, Chrom, it's not what you hope or think," she sighed. "It relates to the one in Cali."

Oh.

Oh.

I see.

I could already feel tears threatening to burst from my eyes, my heart wrenching in two. I was silent for a while. She took it. I never had the chance to tell her how I feel because I was waiting for that "right moment". I'm so stupid. I'm so so so so stupid. I swallowed thickly. "Um, all right... Just know that I-"

"No! It's not what you think about that, either!" she groaned. I could tell she was dragging her hands down her face. "Sorry. I shouldn't have been so cryptic in the first place. I haven't taken anything there, yet."

THANK THE GODS AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT EXISTS.

I tried to hide the relief in my voice. "I-I see. Then, what's this about?"

She shuffled a bit. "Um, they just reached out to me and told me that I need to make my decision. And soon."

I raised an eyebrow. "I thought you said that they were allowing you to wait until after the holidays to make a decision?"

"Well, they changed their minds," she whispered. "It's only a matter of days, Chrom. To compensate for all of this...they, well, they 'sweetened the deal'."

"What do you mean by that?"

"They are offering me more money that I would ever know what to do with," she replied. She explained what they were offering and my eyes almost bugged out of my head. It was certainly a generous amount. "To top it all off, they're bumping my position. They want me to work with and shadow some of the top Psychologists in this country. Not only will my main base be in California, but I would travel all over to work with these people!"

My mouth was agape. Not even I could find something to discourage her from taking the job. "That's...that's amazing!" I laughed breathlessly. "They may as well just fly you up to the moon, with all the opportunities they're giving you!"