Chapter 65

A soft but cold breeze blew a draft around Arien's bare neck as her eyes slowly opened, waking to the feeling of Thorin's warm breath against her skin, and his beard tickling her hair. She decided there and then that she wanted to wake up like this all the time, with his familiar weight on top of her, and his hair all over her face, merging with her own. She sighed sleepily, and looked up to find his eyes on her mouth, watching her with a look of longing. Gently, he brushed her hair out of her face and smiled down at her. That smile... Arien didn't think she'd ever forget it. Or get tired of it.

"I know you're tired, love," he murmured, his voice like the deep rumble of a great cat purring. "But I promise I'll be gentle."

Arien let out a little moan, having honestly no idea how she was supposed to refuse that, especially when just the touch of his hand against her cheek made her want to combust –– made her heart beat faster. So she shoved him back on to the bed, and kissed him. Hard. On the mouth. And he put his arms around her, hands gently caressing her pointed ears, and growled

"I knew you wouldn't be able to say no to that."

Arien laughed and kissed his throat. "You know I never can."

***

Ten minutes later, Arien lay with her head on Thorin's bare chest and his arm around her. He gently stroked her shoulder.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too, and I'm never letting you go," she told him. "Even if I have to give my life."

"The last thing I want, Arien," Thorin said quietly. "Is for you or anyone else to give their lives to  save me."

"Believe me, Thorin, there are many dwarves who would gladly do it to protect you. You are their king, and they, like me, would not have a single regret about it."

"I would much rather give my life for my people than watch them die around me."

"I know," Arien murmured. "I know. And that's one of the many reasons why I love you. Why they love you. You are one of the best things that's ever happened to me, and I will never stop being grateful for your existence. I would rather spend a short time with you, than face all the circles of this world alone. You make me feel as if I have come home, Thorin, and I will always, always love you, no matter what happens."

He smiled, stroking her hair. "So will I, Arien. So will I." He pulled her closer to him, and she breathed in his beautiful, familiar smell. "Together," he whispered. "Every journey, every battle, every quest. We do it together. I need you by my side."

"I will be," she replied, nestling into his warmth. "Always."

That was when the screaming started.