The Ninth Question

Lola is missing. Again.

It has officially been a week since Lola found out that her estranged mother is getting married to some random in a few weeks. Since hearing this Lola has done three things;

            1.  Drink excessively

            2. Smoke excessively

            3. Drink and smoke excessively

            No one said anything before because that is just how Lola deals with things she doesn’t want to confront. But, now no one has seen or heard from her since last night. She hasn’t been to class, didn’t go to therapy, and now she isn’t at detention.

       “She just needs her space.” Logan –Whom Mrs. Barnes has released from her office to help us in the library- sighs, folding his arms across his chest and leaving the stack of books he was supposed to be filing on the table. He really is more productive when he’s with Mrs. Barnes.

        “I agree. She usually doesn’t like to talk about these things. She likes to drink and think alone.” Charlie agrees before turning back on the vacuum to finish cleaning the blue carpet.

       Joyce nods in agreement, but I just can’t get rid of the feeling that we should be doing more. I, of all people, know what it’s like when a parent gets remarried and let me tell you, it is not something I would want to be alone for. She’s probably hiding somewhere, drowning her sorrows in vodka, and throwing darts at a photo of her mom’s face. Not that I blame her.

         I just don’t want her to feel alone. God knows how long she has been alone in her life.

      I run my fingers down my face and begrudgingly continue to organize the books in their proper shelves. I try not to think of her stormy eyes that penetrate into my core, her perfectly kissable lips, or her raven hair that makes me envious of the wind that gets to run its fingers through it every day.

            But, I am the dog and she is the choke chain and I can’t help my mind from being yanked back into thoughts of her.

            Logan starts to delve into details about how “wild” Mrs. Barnes is, but no one is really listening besides Charlie who practically sits there like a kid during story time. I make idle chat with Joyce as she dusts aimlessly and we all just wait out the hour until Mrs. Barnes comes and dismisses us.

            “Noah, you’re mother called my office, but I informed her that you could not take any phone calls during your punishment. You can call her now if you’d like.” Mrs. Barnes purses her lips at me and I sigh at my mother’s ruthlessness.

            She stopped calling me after my outburst and I thought she had finally given up, until I got another call yesterday. I run a hand down my face in exasperation and notice that everyone is sending me weary looks; clearly knowing that my mother and I aren’t on the best of terms.

         “No that’s okay.” I say through gritted teeth and Mrs. Barnes sends me a look that is clearly displeased at the fact that I won’t talk to my mother. Everyone exchanges glances with each other, but I ignore them and make my way out into the hallway.

     I hear feet scuffling behind me and I only make it halfway to the cafeteria before Charlie’s hand on my shoulder stops me. When I twirl around to face him I am surprised to see everyone staring at me with sympathetic and understanding gazes.

       “We’re not really good with the mushy feelings stuff, but I just wanted to say that we get it. Your mommy issues, I mean.” Charlie scratches the back of his neck awkwardly and Joyce nods her head furiously.